Matching family tree profiles for Charles Duane Williams
About Charles Duane Williams
- Name: Mr Charles Duane Williams
- Born: Saturday 11th August 1860
- Age: 51 years
- Last Residence: in Geneva Switzerland
- Occupation: Lawyer
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Cherbourg on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 17597 , £61 7s 7d
- Died in the sinking.
- Body Not Recovered
Mr Charles Duane Williams-White, 51, a lawyer from Geneva, Switzerland, was born on 11 August 1860. He was U.S. Citizen and was from Radnor, Pennsylvania, USA. He had lived in Geneva since 1891. Together with his son Richard Norris Williams he wanted to travel back to America, where his wife Lydia Biddle Williams-White lived.
He and his son boarded the Titanic at Cherbourg as first class passengers (ticket number PC 17597, £61 7s 7d).
On 14 April he sent a telegram to his brother in Philadelphia, it was sent at 6.38 p.m.
Norris Williams 8124 St. Martins Lane Philadelphia Arrive Wednesday Titanic send Marconigramm How you are fine voyage Charley
At around midnight, about twenty minutes after the collision, Richard and his father went to the bar and found it was closed. They asked a steward if he could open up but the steward said it was against regulations. Charles handed an empty flask to Richard. Richard's grandson Quincy II has since inherited this flask.
During the sinking he and his son were on the Boat-Deck. Towards the end they both jumped into the cold water. Just at that time funnel one fell into the water hitting him. His son swam ahead of him and saw his father killed.
His body, if recovered, never was identified.
There is a memorial to Charles Duane Williams at St David's Churchyard, Devon, Pennsylvania. Image on Titanica
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mr Richard Norris II Williams
References and Sources
- Günter Bäbler (1998) Reise auf der Titanic. Chronos Zürich
- John Booth & Sean Coughlan (1993) Titanic Signals of Disaster. White Star Publicatons, Westbury, Wiltshire. ISBN 0 9518190 1 1
- Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York; NRAN-21-SDNYCIVCAS-55).
- Michael A. Findlay, USA
- Phillip Gowan, USA
- Linda Greaves, USA
- Hermann Söldner, Germany
- Brian Ticehurst, UK
Charles Duane Williams's Timeline
August 11, 1860
Radnor, Delaware, PA, USA
October 28, 1884
Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, USA
January 29, 1891
Geneva, Genève, Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
April 15, 1912