About Leslie Williams
Births Sep 1888
- WILLIAMS Leslie Pontypridd 11a 477
Marriages Jun 1910
- THOMAS Lily Pontypridd 11a 867
- WILLIAMS Leslie Pontypridd 11a 867
- Name: Mr Leslie Williams
- Age: 28 years
- Last Residence: in Tonypandy Glamorgan Wales
- Occupation: Pugilist
- 3rd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 54636 , £16 2s
- Died in the sinking.
- Body recovered by: Mackay-Bennett (No. 14)
- Buried: at Sea on Monday 22nd April 1912.
Mr Leslie Williams was a blacksmith from Tonypandy, Rhondda, Wales. He was a professional boxer (bantamweight) and was travelling to the USA under contract for a series of boxing contests. He was travelling with a fellow Rhondda boxer, David Bowen, and was the better known of the two (1). His ring weight was 8 stones 10 pounds (122 pounds). He was regarded as a promising fighter.
Williams was married with one son. He and Bowen booked passage through the Cardiff office of Dean and Dawson, tourist and steamship agents, 67 St. Mary Street, Cardiff (ticket number 54636, £16 2s).
They boarded the Titanic at Southampton as third class passengers, both died in the sinking.
Williams' body was later recovered by the MacKay Bennett (#14) and was buried at sea on 22 April 1912.
NO. 14. - MALE. - ESTIMATED AGE. 28. - HAIR, FAIR.
CLOTHING - Green overcoat; blue serge suit; red striped shirt; two scarves.
EFFECTS - Two pocket books; two gold rings; one pair silver cuff links; ticket; Papers; knife; etc.; £3 10s; and $30 in gold; £2 6s, 6d. in silver and copper Coins.
THIRD CLASS TICKET. - NAME -LESLIE WILLIAMS, Prof. Boxer 59 Primrose St., Tony Pandy.
They were trained in South Wales by George Cundick. In his younger days George had been sent to India with the British Army, where he won many trophies for his boxing talents.
- Record of Bodies and Effects: Passengers and Crew, S.S. Titanic (Public Archives of Nova Scotia) (#14)
- Rhondda Leader
- Western Mail
- South Wales Daily News, 17 April 1912, p.12
- South Wales Daily News, 10 May 1912, p.5
- South Wales Echo, 15th April 1912, p.3
- Dave Gittins, Australia
- David Huxtable, UK
- Sian Prescott, UK
- Karan Price, UK (Granddaughter of George Cundick)
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mr David John "Dai" Bowen
- Global ID 13725
- sex male
- birthdate 1884-00-00
- death date 1912-04-12 (28)
- division bantamweight
- country United Kingdom
- residence Tonypandy, Wales, United Kingdom
- won 4 (KO 0) + lost 3 (KO 1) + drawn 0 = 8
- rounds boxed 103 KO% 0
Leslie Williams's Timeline
April 15, 1912
At Sea - Titanic Casualty
April 22, 1912