About Clara Jennings Hays (Gregg)
- Name: Mrs Clara Jennings Hays (née Gregg)
- Born: Thursday 13th October 1859
- Age: 52 years
- Married to Charles Melville Hays.
- Last Residence: in Montreal Québéc Canada
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 12749 , £93 10s
- Cabin No.: B69
- Rescued (boat 3)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Tuesday 1st February 1955
Mrs Charles Melville Hays (Clara Jennings Gregg), 52, was born in St. Louis, Mo. on 13th October, 1859.
She boarded the Titanic at Southampton with her husband Mr Charles Melville Hays and her maid Anne Perreault. They were joined on board by their daughter Orian Davidson and her husband Thornton. The family were returning to their home in Montreal, PQ. Travelling in first class, Mr and Mrs Hays occupied cabin B-69.
Mr Hays died in the sinking but Clara was rescued in Lifeboat 3.
The Hays' were travelling as guests of the White Star's managing director, Bruce Ismay. When she was asked to sue the White Star Line for damages, she imperiously replied, "When one is a guest, one does not sue one's host."
After the disaster Clara Gregg Hays spent more time at her summer home in Cushing Island Maine, than she did in Montreal.
She died in Montreal 1 February 1955 and was buried next to her husband Charles Melville Hays at Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal.
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mr Charles Melville Hays
- Mr Vivian Ponsonby Payne
- Miss Mary Anne Perreault
References and Sources
- Montreal Gazette, February 3, 1955, Obituary
- Derek Boles, USA
- Phillip Gowan, Canada
- Pamela Hamilton
- Alan Hustak, Canada
- Diane Lapierre, Canada
- Hugo Normandeau, Canada
Clara Jennings Hays's Timeline
October 13, 1859
November 18, 1884
February 1, 1955
Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal