Jean Gertrude Unander-Scharin (Hippach)
|Birthplace:||Chicago Illinois, USA|
|Death:||Died in USA|
|Cause of death:||Cancer|
|Place of Burial:||Rose Hill Cemetery Chicago Illinois United States|
|Managed by:||June Barnes|
Historical records matching Jean Gertrude Unander-Scharin
About Jean Gertrude Unander-Scharin
- Name: Miss Jean Gertrude Hippach
- Born: Sunday 30th September 1894
- Age: 17 years
- Marital Status: Single.
- Last Residence: in Chicago Illinois United States
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Cherbourg on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 111361 , £57 19s 7d
- Cabin No.: B18
- Rescued (boat 4)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Thursday 14th November 1974
- Cause of Death: Cancer
- Buried: Rose Hill Cemetery Chicago Illinois United States
Miss Jean Gertrude Hippach, 16, was born in Chicago, IL, the daughter of Louis Albert Hippach and Ida Sophia Fischer.
Jean had been touring Europe with her mother. They boarded the Titanic in Cherbourg as first class passengers. They occupied cabin B-18.
Jean slept through the collision, awaking when the steam began roaring through the funnels.
Jean and her mother were rescued in Lifeboat 4.
They returned to their home in Chicago where Jean married a Mr Unander-Scharin and continued to live in Evanston, Illinois. She was later divorced and lived out her life near the town of Osterville, Massachusetts. She was the mother of one son and two daughters. Her son, Howard H. Scharin was born in Chicago April 30, 1921 and died in Creston, North Carolina on January 26, 1996. Her daughter Louise Moss still resides in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and daughter Jean Spalding now resides in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mrs Ida Sophia Hippach
References and Sources
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts Standard Certificate of Death
- Chicago Daily Tribune (Illinois), 17 April 1912
- Passport Application, Bureau of Citizenship, Jan 18 1912
- Phillip Gowan, USA
- Homer Thiel, US
Jean Gertrude Unander-Scharin's Timeline
September 30, 1894
April 30, 1921
November 14, 1974
Rose Hill Cemetery Chicago Illinois United States