Margaret Welles Swift (Barron)
|Birthplace:||Bath, New York, USA|
|Death:||Died in Nyack, New York|
|Place of Burial:||North Tarrytown, New York.|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching Margaret Welles Swift
About Margaret Welles Swift
- Name: Mrs Margaret Welles Swift (née Barron)
- Born: Saturday 30th September 1865
- Age: 46 years
- Last Residence: in New York City New York United States
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 17466 , £25 18s 7d
- Cabin No.: D17
- Rescued (boat 8)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Thursday 29th April 1948
Mrs Frederick Joel Swift (Margaret Welles Barron), 46, was born on September 30, 1865 in Bath, New York. She was the daughter of Charles Hazon Barron and Julia A. Welles. Margaret had two sisters.
Mrs Swift boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a first class passenger (ticket number 17466, £25 18s 7d) together with friends, Dr Alice Leader, and Mr Frederick R. and Mrs Kenyon. She shared cabin D-17 with Dr Leader.
The three ladies were rescued in lifeboat 8. Mr Kenyon went down with the Titanic.
After the sinking, Mrs Swift continued to live in Brooklyn, New York. In addition to her travelling, Mrs Swift was well known for her participation in church and charity activities and also a president of the Fortnightly Library Club of the Twenty-sixth Ward in the Arlington section of East New York.
She eventually moved to Nyack, New York with her two sisters and lived there for the rest of her life. She passed away on 29th April 1948, at the age of 82 and was buried in North Tarrytown, New York.
- Dr Alice Leader
- Mr Frederick R. Kenyon
- Mrs Marion Kenyon
References and Sources
- Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York; NRAN-21-SDNYCIVCAS-55)
- Michael A. Findlay, USA
Margaret Welles Swift's Timeline
September 30, 1865
New York, USA
April 29, 1948
Nyack, New York
North Tarrytown, New York.