|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
Son of William Sutherland, 9th of Duffus; Sir William Gordon 1558 – 1616 and Lady Margaret Sinclair
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for James Sutherland, of Kinminitie
About James Sutherland, of Kinminitie
James Sutherland, of Kinminitie
James Sutherland, of Kinminitie (son of William Sutherland, 9th of Duffus)
James Sutherland, called 'of Kinminitie,' which he acquired from James Grant of Freuchie. He had also Blarich and other lands from ohn Murray of Aberscors in 1624. He acted for a long time as tutor to his nephew, the young Laird of Duffus, and was sytled Tutor of Duffus. He was still alive in October 1679, but died between that and August 1680. He married Margaret, daughter of Sir John Seaton of Monylangain, co. Longford,, and had issue, a son and two daughters:--
- 1. Alexander of Kinminitie, who had, on 25 August 1675, from George, Lord Strathnaver, a gift of the ward duties of Skelbo, married Jean, daughter of Thomas Forbes of Waterton, and had two sons, Alexander and Thomas. The latter married in 1686 Violet, daughter of Michael Strachan of Auchnagat, afterwards wife of George Gordon, younger, of Glastyrim. They had a son James, born about September 1688. Thomas died 17 April 1692. Alexander, the elder son, was apparently twice married, his second wife being Marie Ogilvy, daughter of the first Lord Banff. He died 11 November 1710, leaving two sons, Alexander, and Mr. James, the latter of whom, an advocate, had the lands of Croftcroy, on 30 July 1694, from the town of Elgin, and died s.p. The eldest, Alexander, succeeded to Kinminitie and other lands in Banffshire, and died in July 1725. He married Elizabeth Edwards, afterwards, in 1726, wife of Sir Kenneth McKenzie of Grandvale. He had issue with other children, a son, Alexander, who succeeded him, but died before 1726, and a daughter, Mary, married to Alexander Sutherland of Clyne.
- 2. Margaret, married in 1763 to James Irvine in Artomford, and had issue, who carried on the family of Irvine of Drum.
- 3. Jane, married to Sir Alexander Abercromby of Birkenbog.
-  Laing Charters, Nos. 2510, 2522.
-  Records of Synod of Moray; Laing Charters, No. 2793.
-  Gen. Reg. Inhibitions, 3 May 1665.
-  Macfarlane's Gen. Coll., ii. 235.
-  Part. Reg. Sas., Banff, 13 June 1693.
-  Keith Reg. Baptisms.
-  Boharm Reg., 1701.
-  Laing Charters, No. 2917, 2918.
-  Services of Heirs, 1720-29, p. 29.
-  Reg. of Deeds (Dal.), 2 October 1728.
Sources: Balfour Paul, J. (1906) The Scots Peerage, vol. 3. Edinburgh: David Douglas.
65) James Sutherland of Kinminitie, second son of William Sutherland (No. 50 above), died about 1680. He was appointed tutor to his nephew, Alexander Sutherland (No. 52 above), 11th January 1627. He married Margaret, daughter of Sir John Seaton of Monylangain, Co. Longford