William's Top Matches
About William Sutherland
William Sutherland, son of William Sutherland, 10th of Duffus, is named in the testament, dated in 1674, of his brother, Lord Duffus. He had the lands of Inverhassie in 1694. His son
- (1) James, along with his father, had in 1694 a bond from James, second Lord Duffus, for 3000 merks. He also held the lands of Dalnamain. He died before 1722. He had at least one son.
- i. James, styled of Evelix. He married, 8 August 1726, Margaret, eldest daughter of John Sutherland of Rearquhar. He was still alive and over eighty in 1784. He had an only son
- Lieutenant Hugh Sutherland of Evelix, who, in 1776, was served heir-male general to his grandfather, James Sutherland of Evelix, formerly of Inverhassie. He married Magdalene, daughter of John Clunes of Neilston, and was alive in 1819.
 Writs in Sutherland Charter-chest.  Writs in Sutherland Charter-chest.
http://www26.us.archive.org/stream/heraldryofmurray00john#page/10/mode/2up Page 9 No 51-b and page 11 No. 61
(51) William Sutherland 10th of Duffus, died October 1626. He was served heir to his father 23rd and 30th April 1616. In 1612 he married Jean, daughter of John Grant of Freuchie, and had issue:
51(a) Alexander (No. 52). 51(b) William, ancestor of Sutherland of Evelix (No. 61). 51(c) Colonel John Sutherland, died s.p. before 3rd November 1657. He married, contract dated March 1656, Isabella, daughter of David Ross of Balnagown.
(61) William Sutherland, second son of William Sutherland (No. 51 above). He was served heir to his younger brother, Colonel John (No. 51, c), 3rd November 1657. In 1694 he owned the lands of Inverhassie, and was succeeded by his son:
(62) James Sutherland of Daln amain, died before 1722