- Type:white / black
- Location:Orange River Colony
- Date open:01/03/1901
- Date closed:06/01/1903
- Rations:15/2/1901: For native refugees: Natives over 12 years of age: Daily: 1½ lbs either mealies, K/corn, unsifted meal or mealie meal; ¼ oz salt; Weekly: 1 lb fresh or tinned meat; ½ coffee; 2 oz sugar - all but the corn to cost 4½d per ration
The object of reproducing the list here is to see if these people can be located on Geni and perhaps develop trees from them.
While the two main forces in the Anglo-Boer War 2 were White, it was not an exclusively White war. At least 15 000 Blacks were used as combatants by the British, especially as scouts to track down Boer commandoes and armed block house guards, but also in non-combatant roles by both British and Boer forces as wagon drivers, etc. They suffered severely as result of the British "scorched earth policy" during which those who lived on White farms were removed to concentration camps, as were the women and children of their White employers.
THEY LIVED TO GO HOME
THEY DIED IN THE CAMP
- Cornelis Wilhelmus ELS (3 months) Died of general tuberculosis on 4 2 1901. Born in camp
- Son of Ms Pelser below
- Farm History:Isabelasfontein / Isabellafontein / Isabellasfontein / Izabellasfontein
- Jeremias Herbst 1901 - 19 November 1901
- Cause of death – Whooping Cough & Pneumonia
- Johannes Jacobus Herbst 1897 - 29 November 1901
- Cause of death – Whooping Cough & Broncho-Pneumonia
NOT ON GENI
- Botes, Abraham (21) 15/6/1902-23/6/1902
- Farm History Name: Sweethome, WInburg.
To take part in any project - you do need to first be a collaborator - so join the project. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going! How to Participate • Please add only the profiles of people that are linked to this project. This is easily done from the profile page using the Add to project link. • If you have any queries related to these ABW people, please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right). • Please add related projects to the menu on the right. • If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page. • Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you. How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles to projects. • WELKOM CUZZINS: Geni SA Projects' Main Site Index & Help Page