The purpose of this project is to help identify the profiles of Eliot and related families whose portions of the tree need to be fixed. There are several family trees and genealogies who have used erroneous sources based on some visitations.
For a point of reference I have uploaded the article, Ancestry of Bennet Eliot of Nazeing, Essex, Father of Seven Great Immigrants to Massachusetts, written by William Wyman Fiske. The article was published in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register and comes in a series of 5 parts:
- "NEHGR, April 2007, Vol 161, pages 85-91": The ancestry of Bennet Eliot of Nazeing has been interested New England genealogist well over a century, especially because one of his children was the Rev. John Eliot, "Apostle to the Indians". The author, William Wyman Fiske, found an original manorial court roll from 1580 that proved the parentage of Bennet Eliot. Additional research in wills in the Essex Record Office helped tie Bennet the known Eliot family.
- "NEHGR July 2007, Vol 161, pages 186-198": In part 2 of the ANCESTRY OF NAZEING, ESSEX, FATHER OF SEVEN GREAT MIGRATION IMMIGRANTS TO MASSACHUSETTS, William Wyman Fiske analyses the evidence for the Eliot ancestry in Hertfordshire and the problems with published visitations. He then considers the visitations show the Eliot arms as identical to those born Eliot families in Devonshire and Surrey as well as by an earlier Eliot family of Pembrokeshire, Wales.
- "NEHGR October 2007, Vol 161, pg251-259": In this issue of ANCESTRY OF BENNET ELIOT OF NAZEING, ESSEX, FATHER OF SEVEN GREAT MIGRATION IMMIGRANTS TO MASSACHUSETTS, by William Wyman Fiske, begins the genalogical summary. It gives an account of William Eliot and most of his children and grandchildren mentioning Thomas Jernigan of Virginia who had an Eliot connection.
- "NEHGR January 2008, Vol 162, pg 65-72":The genealogical summary continues in this issue. William Wyman Fiske brings the Eliot family down to Bennet Eliot himself, but there are still several family groups to be presented in the April 2008 issue.
- "NEHGR April 2008, Vol 162, pg 128-139": This issue concludes the Genealogical Summary for the Ancestry of Bennet Eliot of Nazeing, Essex. William Wyman Fiske brings the Eliot family down to the seven Great Migration immigrants and their cousins, Gov. John Haynes of Massachusetts and Connecticut, and John Butler and Elizabeth (Butler) Claiborne of Maryland and Virginia (a chart shows other Virginia connections).
Please add profiles of Eliot (various spellings) and related families that you discover need to be fixed or cleaned up. Most profiles will need curator help.