The Anglo Boer War (1899-1902) - Boer Casualties
This project is an extension of the The Anglo Boer War (1899-1902) Boers. This is a place where we can add information about Boer casualties of the Anglo-Boer War, somewhere to assemble profiles of these men who are on Geni and to share interesting tales and anecdotes about them.
According top the Encyclopaedia Britannica nearly 100,000 lives were lost, including those of more than 20,000 British troops and 14,000 Boer troops. Noncombatant deaths include the more than 26,000 Boer women and children estimated to have died in the concentration camps from malnutrition and disease; the total number of African deaths in the concentration camps was not recorded, but estimates range from 13,000 to 20,000.
How to Participate
To participate in a project you do need to first be a collaborator - so join the project! Look at the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going! Further help can be found at Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images.
To join the project use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and click Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Please add the relevant profiles of casualties (not their entire descendants - only those who fought in the war). This is easily done from the profile page using the Add to project link. Only profile profiles can be added to projects.
- If you have interesting stories or anecdotes about someone who fought in this war please add him to the relevant section below with a brief description, adding full details to the "About" section on the profile.
- If you have any related queries please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- Please add related projects to the menu on the right.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
Military casualties: 9,098 died (4,000 in combat) (24,000 Boer prisoners sent overseas)
- Thomas Arnoldus Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- FC Barnard 1871 - 7 December 1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- GJN Beytel 1866 - 30 October1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- John Godfrey Beytel 1860 - 30 October1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- CJ van Biljon Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Jacobus Boshoff 1877 - 30 October1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Corporal Willem Boshoff - 30 October1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- JW van Dyk Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- JJH Engelbrecht 1880 - 30 October 1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Louw Erasmus 1867 - 30 October 1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- General Joachim Christoffel Fourie 1855 - 1900
- Titus Hallatt 1862 - 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Willem Hendrik Hearly 1873 - 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Joseph Cornelis Herbst 1881 - 23 July 1901
- Willem Hendrik Jacobus Casparus Herbst 1848 - 1902
- Rudolph Johannes Jansen 1875 - 30 October 1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Nicolaas Marthinus Janse van Rensburg 1847 - 1900
- Andries Johannes Joubert 1874 - 1902 – Battle of Driefontein, Smithfield
- Burgert Adriaan Joubert 1878 - 1900 – Battle of Pietershoogte
- Carel Herculaas Jacobus Joubert 1879 - 23 March 1901
- Casper Hendrik Joubert 1880 - 11 December 1899 – Battle of Scholtznek, Magersfontein
- Christiaan Joubert 1847 - 20 August 1900 – Battle of Vaalhoogte
- Christiaan Gerhardus Joubert 1865 - 31 October 1901
- Daniel Johannes Joubert 1873 - 7 March 1901
- Francois Jacobus Joubert 1874 - 31 December 1900 – Battle of Langberg
- Francois Jacobus Joubert 1878 - 18 November 1899 – Battle of Alexanderfontein, Kimberley
- Gert Louis Joubert 1872 - 11 December 1899 – Battle of Scholtznek, Magersfontein
- Hermanus Joubert 1849 - 2 September 1901
- Jan Johannes Joubert 1867 - 17 August 1901 – Battle of Rheboksfontein
- Johannes Jacobus Joubert 1861 - 21 October 1899 – Battle of Talana
- Johannes Jacobus Joubert 1877 - 21 February 1900 – Battle of Colenso
- Lodewyk de Jager Joubert 1876 - 1900
- Marthinus Joubert 1873 - 7 March 1902 (Battle of TweeBos)
- Marthinus Jacobus Joubert 1853 - 7 August 1901
- Petrus Jacobus Joubert 1831 - 27 March 1900
- Martin Johannes Knoetze 1856 - 23 November 1899 Battle of Belmont
- Stephanus Willem Malan 1865 - 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- FJ Matthysen Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- JJ van der Merwe Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Jan Willem van der Merwe 1861 - 29 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Christiaan J Mouton Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Ignatius Michael Nel 1875 - 30 October 1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Leonhardus Hendrik van Niekerk 1859 - 1900
- Ockert Barend Jonathan Olivier 1847 - 1901
- Frederik Petrus Pieterse 1880 - 30 October 1901 (Battle of Bakenlaagte)
- Ferdinand Pohlman 1864 - 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Johannes Jacobus Pretorius Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Commandant Joachim Petrus Nicolaas Prinsloo 1864 - 1902 (Verkluimkop)
- Thomas Andries Prinsloo Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Michael Christoffel Roux 1864 - 27 November 1900 POW in Ceylon
- Cause of death – Typhoid
- Frederik Willem Stieler Died 21 October 1899 (Battle of Elandslaagte)
- Cornelis Johannes Uys 1875 - 1901
- DN van Vuuren Died 27 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Lucas van Vuuren 1880 - 21 August 1900 (Battle of Bergendal)
- Willem Diederik van Vuuren
Civilian casualties: 27,927 Boer civilians died in concentration camps , plus an unknown number of black Africans (107,000 were interned). Women and Children are to be included in this list.
- Cornelia Susanna Foley 1864-1902 Bethulie Camp
- Hendrika Margaretha Kruger 1899 - 1901
- Bethulie Concentration Camp
- Cause of Death – Diarrhoea
- Salomon Francois Kruger 1895 - 1901 (Middelburg Refugee Camp – Measles & Bronchitis)