Brandfort Native Concentration Camp
- Date open (general): By 1/3/1901
- Date closed: 15/2/1901:
- Rations: For native refugees: Natives over 12 years of age: Daily: 1½ lbs either mealies, K/corn, unsifted meal or mealie meal; ¼ oz salt; Weekly: 1 lb fresh or tinned meat; ½ coffee; 2 oz sugar - all but the corn to cost 4½d per ration. See Asam%>
- Notes:26/2/1901; Superintendent notes that he has no paid officials in the Native RC, but he has an excellent native headman, Peter, who speaks English fluently and whom he recommends for an appropriate post.
- While the two main forces in the Anglo-Boer War 2 were White, it was not an exclusively White war. At least 15 000 Blacks were used as combatants by the British, especially as scouts to track down Boer commandoes and armed block house guards, but also in non-combatant roles by both British and Boer forces as wagon drivers, etc. They suffered severely as result of the British "scorched earth policy" during which those who lived on White farms were removed to concentration camps, as were the women and children of their White employers.
The object of reproducing the list here is to see if these people can be located on Geni and perhaps develop trees from them. To take part in any project - you do need to first be a collaborator - so join the project. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going! How to Participate •Please add only the profiles of people that are linked to this project. This is easily done from the profile page using the Add to project link. •If you have any queries related to these ABW people, please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right). •Please add related projects to the menu on the right. •If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page. •Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you. How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles to projects. •WELKOM CUZZINS: Geni SA Projects' Main Site Index & Help Page
Agian we will keep this in 4 categories.
- 1. They Lived
- They Died
- Jacobus Meintjes (Staff)
- Occupation:camp superintendent
- Unique ID:1016
- Notes:18/5/1901: I found Mr Meintjes, the native supt, living in the white camp. I sent him to the native camp.
- Not on GENI
- N'too, Petrus (Date departure:20/3/1901 Reason departure:return to Basutoland
- Notes:20/3/1901: party of 1 man, 6 children
- Date departure:20/5/1901
- Reason departure:return to Basutoland
- Notes:20/3/1901: party consists of 1 man, 2 women, 8 children