DIGITAL SOUTH EAST ASIA LIBRARY, LONDON
Cousens, Henry (b. 13 Sep 1854; d. Tunbridge Wells, 1933).
Areas: India Notes:
- Listed as having joined Archaeological Survey Department, 16 Nov 1881; in fact a letter written by James Burgess in 1883 indicates that he had worked for the survey since 1874;
- After 1886 he supervised and trained Indian draughtsmen;
- 'Toured Northern Gujarat in 1886-7 and 1889-90, surveying and photographing.
- non-gazetted appointments until 1890;
- Archaeological Surveyor, Western India, Poona, 1 10.1890;
- Superintendent, Archaeological Survey, Bombay (Poona), 24.6.1891;
- on deputation to Hyderabad State, 1 Dec 1894-31.8.1895;
- Superintendent, Archaeological Survey, Bombay (Poona), 1.9.1895;
- Superintendent, Archaeological Survey, Western Circle (Poona),11.2.1906;
- officiating as Director General of Archaeology, Simla, 14.4.1906
- Civil engineer.
- Superintendent of the Archaeological Survey of India, Western Circles and photographed sites for the survey (particularly Gujarat).
- retired 13.9.1910, after 'three months short of 35 years service.
The Museum Mumbai:
"The priceless artefacts from the Buddhist site of Mirpurkhas, excavated by renowned archaeologist Henry Cousens in 1909 are an important part of the Museum collection."
Henry was also a photographer, photographing many archaeological sites for his Archaeological Survey of India
- photographer for the British Astronomical Society's Expedition to Jeur, India, to photograph the 22 January 1898 total Solar Eclipse - some of the earliest recorded images of a solar eclipse.