Battle of Aberdeen
Contributors welcome - but please do not copy and paste Wiki!!
Date: 13 September 1644
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
- Royalist Irish and Highland Scots
- Strength: 1,500 foot, 44 horse (cavalry)
- Losses: Light
- Parliamentarian Scots Covenanters
- Strength: 2,500 foot, 500 horse
- Losses: 160
Commanders and leaders
Royalist Irish and Highland Scots
- Lord Montrose
- Alasdair MacColla
- James Hay
- Sir Nathaniel Gordon
- Sir William Rollock
Parliamentarian Scots Covenanters
- Lord Burleigh
- Lord Lewis Gordon
- Forbes of Craigievar
- Forbes of Boyndlie
From 1644 to 1651 a series of civil wars were fought in Scotland, England (English Civil War) and in Ireland (Irish Confederate Wars). These were called the Wars of the Three Kingdoms. They followed conflicts such as the Bishops Wars (between Scotland and England) and the Irish Rebellion of 1641.
Scotland had in 1638 risen in revolt against Charles I's religious policies. The National Covenant of Scotland was created to resist Charles I's ideas. It also expressed a wider Scottish dissatisfaction with Charles I's policies.
Lord Burleigh's 2,500 defenders were overwhelmed and forced to flee. 160 men were killed. The Irish and Highland troops then looted the town and neighbouring villages.
Casualties and losses
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
References, Sources and Further Reading
- Scotland - The History of a Nation by Magnus Magnusson