The Canadian portal
The Canadian portal is a place to meet other researchers, share information and take part in discussions and find everything available on Geni related to Canada. In addition to the above this portal will also function as a research tool with the links and sources provided on this portal page.
Canada is a North American country consisting of ten provinces and three territories. Located in the northern part of the continent, it extends from the Atlantic to the Pacific and northward into the Arctic Ocean. Canada is the world's second-largest country by total area, and its common border with the United States is the world's longest land border.
The land that is now Canada has been inhabited for millennia by various Aboriginal peoples. Beginning in the late 15th century, British and French colonial expeditions explored, and later settled, the region's Atlantic coast. France ceded nearly all of its colonies in North America to the United Kingdom in 1763 after the French and Indian War, which was essentially the North American theatre of the Seven Years' War. In 1867, with the union of three British North American colonies through Confederation, Canada was formed as a federal dominion of four provinces. This began an accretion of provinces and territories and a process of increasing autonomy, culminating in the Canada Act 1982.
The ten provinces
- Nova Scotia
- New Brunswick
- British Columbia
- Prince Edward Island
- Newfoundland and Labrador
What can you do here
- Ask questions.
- Find collaborators in the Canadian Collaboration Pool
- Share knowledge you have gained as you've done your own research in a specific area.
- Problem finding an ancestors , open a discussion here and we all try to help
- Start your own related project.
- Add your profiles.
- Start or take part in a discussion.
Projects related to Canada on Geni
- Governors of New-France
- Peter Robinson Settlers 1823-1825
- Child Emigration from Britain - Canada
- Freemasons in Canada
- The Irish emigrant in Canada
- Blacks in Early Canada: The Freedom Seekers
- Dutch in Acadia · 1674-1678 · Nova Scotia
- SS Walnut passengers
- Governors-General of Canada
- Canadian Prime Ministers
- Cross of Valour (Canada)
- Canadian Indigenous People
- Métis in Canada
- Clergé Catholique du Québec
- Notable Canadian Jews
- Canadian actors in the USA
- British Columbia Canada
- Ontario Canada
- Nova Scotia, Canada
- Alberta Canada
- Saint-Henri-de-Taillon, Québec
Research tools and sources
- Cyndi's list Canada
- Library and Archives Canada
- Canadian Genealogy - Family History Research in Canada
- Can Genealogy
- Archives Canada
- Research Guide to Canadian Genealogical Resources
- Automated Genealogy
- Our Roots Canada
- That's my family - Voici ma famille
Surname projects on Geni
- Canadian of Dutch descent
- Canadian of French descent
- Canadian of Irish descent
- Brief history of Canada to 1599
- Pioneers and emigrants
- The Settlement of Canada: An Overview
- The real first settlers of Quebec
- Saskatchewan Indian Tribe History
- Big Bear -Cree chief
- Canadian Indian Tribes
- Ontario Genealogical Society Facebook page
- Ontario Genealogical Society Website