Castillo is a Spanish word for "castle," tracing back to the Latin word "castellum". It was a regional surname, given to those who lived in areas of Spain named Castillo. This surname was included in the alphabetical catalog accompanying the Claveria Decree of 1849, requiring Filipinos to "select" new last names.
This sub-project aims to organize genealogical data on the Castillo Family of the Philippines. Profiles here are those of historical figures, scions of the gentry (de buena familia), revolutionary heroes, scholars, government officials, national athletes and other public personalities (celebrities) in various fields. Find more surnames at the master project page, Families of the Philippines.
How to Contribute
- Please click the "Join Project" button on the upper right of the project page.
- After adding yourself as a "Follower" or "Collaborator", select the profile of the accomplished individual you wish to add.
- Navigate to that profile. Under the "More Actions" link, choose "Add to Project" and select sub-project to which that profile should be included in.
- Include in the "About Me" section a brief biographical sketch, summarizing the person's significant contributions and accomplishments. (Required)
- Include a photograph, if one exists.
- Mark the profile as "public" and not "private". (Required)