☀☀ Officially registered clan, without a Clan Chief, registered with the Lord Lyon Court.
The clan is a sept of clan MacIntosh.
Please join the project and expand information if you can. This project needs contributions!
- Crest/Badge Hand holding a laurel wreath;The Crest consists of a strap and buckle encircling an oak tree
- Gaelic Name: Mac Ghille Aindrais; Gilleaindreas
- Motto: Spem successus alit (translation, “Success nourishes hope”), (meaning, “Stand sure”)
- Tartan: Mostly blue,it is the only Scottish tartan of all the clans woven with seven colours, all others bearing no more than six colours. The Anderson tartan is referenced in a book, The Tartans of the Clans and Septs of Scotland, published by W & AK Johnston, 1906.
- Name Variations:
- Lands Badenoch - Bàideanach - Inverness-shire
- Clan Chief: None -
Origins of the name
Andrew is a Greek name meaning “manly” which is claimed to have been in use for well over two thousand years. Around the middle of the 10th century St. Andrew became the Patron Saint of Scotland and the use of Andrew as a given name became popular.
Anderson is an English and Scottish patronymic surname, meaning ’son of Andrew‘, a form more common in the Lowlands, but it is widespread in Scotland in different forms. In the Highlands, it was rendered as MacAndrew, of medieval Scottish origin. Both names share the same Scottish Gaelic derivation of ‘Gilleaindreas’ - literally a servant of St. Andrew, Scotland’s patron saint.
Anderson, Andrew and MacAndrew are sometimes associated with the patron saint of Scotland - St. Andrew, which confuses establishing an exact trail of Clan Anderson.
Although there is no exact place of origin the Kinrara manuscript contains details of a claim that the MacAndrews came to Badenoch from Moidart c.1400 The tales of the vengeance of Iain beg MacAindrea on cattle lifters who raided Badenoch may confirm this.
Arms were granted to an Anderson of that Ilk in the 16th century.
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
References, Sources and Further Reading