The Clan Cameron project
The name Cameron can be found in Geni in 21.283 profiles, if you would like to find out if you are a descendant of the original Clan Cameron this project is a great place to find out, or you might just be interested in the Cameron name or the Clans of Scotland in that case this is a good place too.
- Crest A sheaf of five arrows points upwards, Proper, tied with a band, Gules
- Badge Crowberry
- Gaelic Name: Camshron
- Motto: Aonaibh ri chéile (Unite)
- Origin of Tartan:
- Name Variations:
- Lands Lochiel; Lochabar, Inverness-shire; Highlands
- Current Clan Chief: Donald Cameron of Lochiel
Origins of the name
Gaelic Camshron from cam (wry) and sron (nose)
- Clan Cameron is a West Highland Scottish clan, with one main branch Lochiel, and numerous cadet branches.
Described as ‘fiercer than fierceness itself’, the Clan Cameron is said to be one of the most ancient of Scottish clans. One theory for their inception is that they are descended from a son of the Danish King Camchron. http://www.scotclans.com/scottish_clans/clan_cameron_of_lochiel/history.html
As there is a lot of research done about the Cameron family there will be a great amount of information most information can be read using the high-lighted links to the online sources as it would be too much data to write it down on this page.
What can you do here :
- Ask questions.
- Collaborate on your research.
- Share knowledge you have gained as you've done your own research in a specific area.
- Problem finding an ancestors , open a discussion here and we all try to help
- Start your own related project.
- Add your profiles.
- Add information to this project
- Start or take part in a discussion.
If you have any questions or suggestions please do not hesitate to contact me ,Annemarie
Clan history and origins :
The origins of Clan Cameron are uncertain; there are several theories. A manuscript of the clan says that it is old tradition that the Camerons were originally descended from the son of the royal family of Denmark who assisted the restoration of King Fergus II of Scotland, and that their progenitor was called Cameron from his crooked nose (Scottish Gaelic: cam-shròn, Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [ˈkʰaməhɾoːn̪ˠ]) – such nicknames were and are common in Gaelic culture, and that his dependants then adopted the name. According to John Mair, the Clan Cameron and the Chattan Confederation shared a common origin and together followed one chief, but this statement has no foundation or evidence to support it. Allen surnamed MacOrchtry the son of Uchtred is mentioned by tradition as the chief of Camerons during the reign of King Robert II of Scotland and, according to the same source, the Camerons and Chattan Confederation were two rival, hostile tribes. To read the full history of Clan Cameron click here
- National Archives of Scotland
- Clan Cameron Wiki
- Clan Cameron online
- History of Clan Cameron
- Clan Cameron museum
- Clan Cameron Australia
- Clan Cameron @ MacBraveHeart
- Can Cameron their Castle and other information
- Cameron of Lochiel, Hereditary Chief of Clan Cameron
- Achnacarry and Tor Castle
- Clan Cameron discussion forum
- The "Basics"of Clan Cameron
- Clan Cameron history
- Scottish Clans - Clan Cameron Of Scotland
- Clan Cameron Association North America
- Clan Cameron reference guide