The Clan Gunn Project
This project is for users researching the Scottish clan Gunn, its history, and descendants.
- Current Chief: None. Pending a decision of Lyon Court the clan is led by Iain Alexander Gunn of Banniskirk, Commander
- Gaelic Name: Guinne
- Crest Badge: A hand clasping a sword proper (not official)
- Plant Badge: Juniper
- Motto: Aut pax aut bellum (English: Either peace or war)
- War Cry:
- Lands: Caithness, Sutherland, and (perhaps) Orkney
A full size image of this this map is available - use the magnifier for an even larger image.
Origin of the Name
The name Gunn is derived from the Gaelic word "Guinne", which means fierce or warlike. It is not clear whether Guinne was the name of a person or a label applied to the clan.
Names Associated with Clan Gunn
- Name Variations:
- Septs: Henderson, Mackeamish, Robson
- Other Names: Enrick, Eanrig, Gaunson, Ganson, Gallie, Georgeson, Inrig, Jameson, Jamieson, Jamison, Jaisson, Johnson, MacCorkill, MacCorkle, MacHamish, MacIan, MacRob, MacWilliam, Mann, Manson, Manus, Magnus, Nelson, Neilson, Robeson, Robison, Robinson, Sandison, Swanson, Will, Wilson, Williamson, Wilson.
Clan History and Origins
Traditionally, the Gunns claimed descent from Gunni, whose wife was a sister of the last Norse Jarl of Orkney. This Gunni was said to be a grandson of the famous viking, Sweyn Asleifson. However, modern research has shown that Gunni's son Snaekollr went into exile in Norway in 1231/2. He was still there in 1239, when the circumstances of his life make it very unlikely he could have returned to Scotland.
The first recorded chief of Clan Gunn was George Gunn, who was the coroner of Caithness in the 15th century. The chiefship has been dormant since the death of the son of George Gunn of Rhives in 1874. The head of the Clan, in the absence of a recognized chief is Iain Gunn of Banniskirk, who has been appointed Commander of the Clan by the Lord Lyon King of Arms.
What You Can Do Here
- Ask questions
- Collaborate on your research
- Share knowledge you have gained as you've done your own research in a specific area
- Problem finding an ancestors , open a discussion here and we all try to help
- Start your own related project
- Add your profiles
- Add information to this project
- Start or take part in a discussion
If you have any questions or suggestions please do not hesitate to contact the project manager, Justin Swanström