Supporting project for Workshop being held on naming conventions.
Profiles linked here are examples and test cases and represent the naming conventions as defined. Functionality will be asked from Geni to provide a link to a Convention page on every profile that will take us to the details of a specific convention as sampled below.
Curators and Leaders in specific areas are invited to detail and add their conventions below in this template format.
- Indicate your need for more analysis in order to support the establishment of a Base Convention here: Need more analysis to register support for BASE Current votes = 2
- Indicate that you are not interested in establishing a Geni-wide Base Naming Convention here: Do not want to participate Current votes = 0
- Ready to take part in establishing a Base Naming Convention? Go to the next step, FIELD 1 (below).
BASE CONVENTION - FIELD 1 - First Name
Current suggestion for BASE CONVENTION is to list all given names in First Name field. Voting is now OPEN (choose one option):
- All given names to be listed in Field 1 Current votes = 3 +1
- Only First Name to be listed in Field 1 Current votes = 4
BASE CONVENTION - FIELD 2 - Middle Name
Discussion is OPEN / Voting is OPEN. If current proposal for Field 1 is accepted then MIDDLE NAME is then free to be used for something else at LOCAL CONVENTION level; BASE would be BLANK:
- FOR BASE Blank; Assign to LOCAL Current votes = 0
- OPPOSED to leaving Middle Name Field BLANK in BASE CONVENTION Current votes: 0
BASE CONVENTION - FIELD 3 - Last Name
OPEN: Open discussion no votes yet
BASE CONVENTION - FIELD 4 - Suffix
OPEN: Open discussion no votes yet
BASE CONVENTION - FIELD 5 - Display Name
OPEN: Open discussion no votes yet Current Suggestion All names known as
BASE CONVENTION - FIELD 6 - Birth Surname
OPEN: Name at Birth Current Suggestion is simply Name at Birth No Votes for or against
BASE CONVENTION - FIELD 7 - Also Known As
BASE CONVENTION - FIELD 8 - About me
For more information, please see About me Cleanup. OPEN FOR VOTING:
- Confirm the default Use About Me for to resolve all naming issues
- Do not use About Me to resolve naming issues?
- Awaiting alternative suggestions
- FIELD 1 - First Name
- FIELD 2 - Middle
- FIELD 3 - Last Name
- FIELD 4 - Suffix
- FIELD 5 - Display Name
- FIELD 6 - Birth Surname
- FIELD 7 - Also Known As
- FIELD 8 - About me
The key issues here being...
- How to handle multiple First Names
- How to handle patronyms
- How to handle titles (nobility, professions...)
- How to handle name variants (latinized names, shortened names, nick names... *Married names is a non-issue because, from a legal and genealogical perspective they have no relevance in the Dutch language area.
Notes: Dutch-speaking users are discussing.
Local Convention: FIELD 1 - First Name
- All First names as per Genealogy Standard. Please see further explanation here.
- Please validate Local Convention here.
- Register disagreement with Local Convention here.
Local Convention: FIELD 2 - Middle: OPEN
- Use this field if it will help to be able to use the BASIC fields to show what a person may have been Most Commonly known as. If you are unable to use that use FIELD 5.
Local Conventions: FIELD 3 - Last Name: OPEN
- Current Proposals are:
- Genealogy standard
- Based on Agreed Valid Sources
- Based on Date 1806? or 1856? validated and assessed based on June's research a woman will be set with married names of husbands up to the agreed date and without after.
Local Convention: FIELD 4 - Suffix: CLOSED
- See example here.
- De Villiers Pama Numbering. Titles and the like. "President" for instance.
Local Convention: FIELD 5 - Display Name: Open
- Best Known As if not possible with combination of other fields
Local Convention: FIELD 6 - Birth Surname: CLOSED
- Genealogical Surname. Variations in AKA.
Local Convention: FIELD 7 - Also Known As
Local Convention: FIELD 8 - About me:
- All name variants without any symbols or hyphens. See Example X
The key issues here being:
- How to handle patronyms
- How to handle name variants (Latinized names, shortened names, nicknames...
- Married names is an issue with a few proposals to be considered:
- South African users have discussed the matter at length.
- See SV/PROG
- A proposal is with the Curators that will be resolved and validated with the South African users asap..
- There are a number of open issues based on recent information that Mauritz will take to the users asap but there is a discussion thread already in SV/PROG for this.
- There may be a difference of Convention by language to be considered and decisions reached which may need to be considered againts XXX
- We will also look to synchronise our conventions with our uplines such as NL but currently SV/PROG contains the current convention.
Please do not delete this it is important for comparison!! We appreciate that CROATIA does not want to participate with the rest of us. But please do not remove yourselves from our Examples and Test Cases again. It's rude.
For more information, please see Croatian Portal. Proposed Local Conventions:
- FIELD 1 - First Name: if person had more names all in the first name field
- FIELD 3 - Last Name: should be written as they appear in Croatian (phonetic – with Croatian accents). If you have version of this surname from old church books written differently , it could be written under ‘nicknames’ or ‘about me’. For people that have changed their surname during their lifetime (for example after migrating to English speaking country should be written as follows: Surname they were born, then slash ‘/’, then the surname they use now or they have died with. For example: Joze/Joe Grubisic / Grubi , Marko / Mark Sevelj / Sevegl , Mara/Mary Pivac/Pivach. A number of families used to have 2 surnames to distinguish each clan in the family. If second family surname is known, it needs to be written, For example: Marko Lozica Barbaresko is different from Marko Lozica Buzolic
- FIELD 5 - Display Name: maiden name always in brackets, For example Mara Sundic (?) or Mara Sundic (Nola)
- FIELD 6 - Birth Surname: enter if known, otherwise ‘?’
- Birthdate - if not known calculate approx 25-30 years from previous or next generation and enter it as circa – this is to avoid merging wrong people that might have same name and surname and parents with same names
- Death -If we know that person died young but don’t know when ‘add picture ‘died young’
- Places - Should refer to current Croatian borders, not what it used to be (no Yugoslavia, Austria, Austro-Hungary, Italy and so on). Historical accuracy in terms of what the country used to be called is a sensitive issue in Croatia, as the country was ruled by numerous rulers from other parts of the world.