Please join as collaborator to register your participation and interest
1) Confirmation and acceptance of the concept of separate “Naming Conventions”. Convention is a commonly accepted concept and it seems obvious that we need them, but are able to say we “ agree that this is the way to go? If not should we take some steps to do so now and validate a decision that we have agreement on this explicitly? If so how?
2) As a first step could we then consider a definitive list of the naming conventions we need? Who would be prepared to have a 1st go at this? Probably a combination of http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Naming_Conventions and The Coalition project page and http://www.geni.com/projects/Coalition-for-the-Standardization-of-Geni-Naming-Conventions Are we comfortable that by AREA or PERIOD Cover what we need?
3) How do we go about to put some effort into updating http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Naming_Conventions and Parallel with the http://www.geni.com/projects/Coalition-for-the-Standardization-of-G... Project Front Page to bring these as the forums for these topics.
4) Can we agree the components of a “Global” convention. Ie Items expected to be common to all “Local” variation... . As far as I can tell currently Global conventioni s pretty much :http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Naming_Conventions
We need to isolate global local from this?.. How? I will give a basic stab at this asap.
5) What is the process and procedure to agree and validate local convention. Do we leave this to local Curators. In case of dispute how do we solve that. By VOTE? Who, Why? Already have a pretty comprehensive template for us to consider.
6) Programing solutions. What programing solutions can we come up with to support the use of naming conventions. One example would be able tag the “Convention” used and have it readily available to use and have as a drill down and visible on the edit pages...
1) What we came up with is a Link or tag - also to the page that defines the particular convention. Projects could be used for this today, but it is clumsy and I don't want for example to add the entire South African tree to a project for instance as a way to indicate naming convention and it is alsop not visible on the edit forms.
2) Hover cards or Links/Tooltips that based on the convention would inform each user based on the naming convention linked to that particular profile how that specific field is recommended to be setup. Basic example: First Name: "All given names ...."
7) PROFILE EXAMPLES – US/ ENGLIGH/ NORWEGIAN / CROATION / ESTONIA / PORTUGUESE / DUTCH / SOUTH AFRICA / ISRAEL, / RELIGIOUS ETC
PARTICIPANTS ARE INVITED TO LINK RELEVANT PROFILES TO THE PROJECT TO START WITH..
Jen..lets list the examples with a link at the bottom of each convention.. I will submit some more South Africans..
Schalk Willemszn -zoon van willem- van der Merwe, SV/PROG]