A cold case is any criminal investigation by a law enforcement agency that has not been solved for (generally) at least one year and, as a result, has been closed from further regular investigations. A cold case may be closed for various reasons such as: previously available technology was not able to adequately analyze the evidence in order to form a conclusion; witnesses were hostile and uncooperative; various time constraints hindered the investigation; the originally assigned detectives had a heavy workload; a lack of worthwhile leads stalled the case.
Jack the Ripper Suspects
Below is a list of people suspected to be Jack the Ripper.
- James Maybrick, not only was he a suspect in the Jack the Ripper murders, his own poisoning murder was a cold case.
- Prince Eddy, grandson of Queen Victoria
- Lewis Carroll, author and mathemetician
- Charlie Manson's "Manson Family" still has investigations going on and are suspect to a few missing person's and death cases that are cold.
- Agnes Sorel, mistress of , scientists have now concluded that Agnès died from being poisoned by mercury. The culprit remains unknown.
- Abigail. His daughter Lizzie was the main suspect.
- Charles XII of Sweden unsolved death, possibly killed in action.
- Dagobert II one of the last kings of the Merovingian line, murdered by persons unknown in the Ardennes Forest on December 23, 679.
- Elizabeth Short was an aspiring actress, and was found mutilated and in pieces in a Los Angeles suburb in 1947.
- Harold II of England was either killed by an arrow to the eye, by four Norman milites, or by some other manner (possibly a combination of both). Nothing is completely certain.
- John Middleton Clayton, assassinated by 4 masked men.
- JonBenet Ramsey, was strangled and sexually assaulted in her home. Her family were main suspects, but are no longer suspects due to DNA and passing of polygraph tests.
- Martha Tabram, a victim of Jack the Ripper, a serial killer who was never caught.
- Mary Pinchot Meyer, a socialite associated with the Kennedy's who was found dead by gunshot wounds.
- Moctezuma II remains mystery as Spaniards say the Aztecs killed him, while the Aztecs say the Spaniards killed him.
- Notorious B.I.G. aka Biggie Smalls, was executed during a drive-by shooting in Los Angeles, California less than a year later after his rival, rapper Tupac Shakur, was executed in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Rudolf Diesel's death location is really unknown. There are many stories on how he possibly died, but what is known is he disappeared at the English Channel, and supposedly his body washed up in Belgium's Schelde River.
- Thelma Todd, actress who was found dead in her car.
- Thomas Hindman was assassinated by one or more unknown assailants who fired through his parlor window while he was reading his newspaper with his children on September 27, 1868.
- Tupac Shakur, rapper and actor, was executed by drive-by shooting, after leaving a boxing game in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Suspects of Unsolved Crimes
- Lizzie Borden is the main suspect of the hatchet murders of her father and stepmother.
- Marie Macarty, Louisiana Creole slave owner whom is the primary suspect of the torture and murder of numerous slaves.
- OJ Simpson was the lead suspect in the deaths of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman. He was acquitted, but remains behind bars for other crimes.
- Benjamin Bathurst was an invalid who vanished into thin air after sitting on his porch!
- John Force Crater went missing August 6, 1930 near Times Square in New York, USA.