Cornish settlement in Australia
Cornish are sometimes described as one of the six Celtic Nations. They form part of the worldwide Cornish diaspora, which also includes large numbers of people in the US, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Mexico and many Latin American countries. Australians originating from Cornwall are thought to make up around 4.3 per cent of the Australian population and are thus one of the largest ethnic groups in Australia.
Cornish people first arrived in Australia with Captain Cook, most notably Zachary Hickes, and there were some Cornish convicts on the First Fleet, James Ruse, Mary Bryant, along with several of the early governors. South Australia, with its emphasis on being free of convicts and religious discrimination, was championed by many Cornish religious dissenting groups and Cornish people comprised a sizeable proportion of settlers helped establish that colony. Large scale Cornish emigration to Australia did not begin until the 1840s, coinciding with the Cornish potato famine and slumps in the Cornish mining industry. The gold rushes and copper booms were major draws on Cornish people, not just from Cornwall itself, but also from other countries where they had previously settled.
What Profiles To Add?
Profiles where the family originated from Cornwall, England, including "via" other countries and settled in Australia. You may include their immediate offspring, as a complete family, but it is not necessary. Couples should both be included, as they have different ancestors.
- The Celtic Council
- Cornish Settlement
- South Australian History
- Immagration Emmegration Cornwall
- Cornish Language
- Cornish Australian Blog Spot
- Gold Encyclopedia Cornish Settlement
- Cornish Frame
- Resource Links
- The Best Search, also see other searches on this site
- The Ships List
- Gov. South Australia Shipping Lists
- South Australian Colonists
- Australian Cemetery Index
- Family History SA
- Australian Cemeteries Online
- National Library Of Australia
- Cora Web
- Australian Family History Search
- Cindi's List
Biography and Obituary Sites:
- Cornish Diaspora
- Cornish Australian
- People of Cornish Decent
- Cornwall - Related Links
- Cornish Culture
- History of Cornwall
- Celtic Nations
- Cornish Language
- This project is included in "History Link", if you have not seen how easily you can see who you are related to in history, visit that project HERE and add projects to it HERE
- How to add a profile to a project
- Photo kindly supplied by the Wiki Pedia Creative Commons.