County Cork- Main Page
Republic of Ireland
This is the Umbrella Project Page for County Cork - Ireland
- People Connected to County Cork
- County Carlow - Famous People
- Historical County Cork (to follow)
- County Cork, Ireland - Monumental Inscriptions, Cemeteries and Graveyards
- Historic Buildings of County Cork (to follow)
Please do not add the profiles of xxx born ancestors to this project. See People Connected to County Cork
- Irish: Contae Chorcaí
- Administrative centre Cork
- Province Munster
- Area 7,499 km2 (2,895 sq mi)
- People from County Cork are called - Corkonians
- Motto ‘Statio Bene Fide Carinis’ ‘A Safe Harbour for Ships’ is an adaptation of a line from Virgil’s Aeneas.
- Typical Cork Food: Drisheen (a type of black pudding made from the blood serum of a sheep and cows blood), tripe (a variety of pig oval) and crubeen’s (pigs feet)
County Cork is the largest county in Ireland. It is located in the South-West Region and is also part of the province of Munster. It is named after the city of Cork. Cork was the European Capital of Culture in 2005 and also has a reputation as a culinary paradise. Cork County Council is the local authority for the county.
Famous Cork Sights:
- St Finbarre's Cathedral,
- The English Market,
- Cork Gaol,
- Blarney Castle
- Blarney and Tower
- Passage West
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator, or collaborating with a project collaborator - so join the project. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to Participate
- If you have any queries please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- Please add related projects to the menu on the right.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
Please do not add the profiles off all your County Cork born ancestors to this project or the People connected to County Cork project. Rather add the earliest known person of a County Cork family to the County Cork' - Family Heads] project. link to follow
References and Sources
The Parishes of County Cork are shown in 3 maps. These have come from the Irish Ancestors page on the Irish Times web site where an overall map can be see following that link.
1. East Cork
2. North West Cork
3. South West Cork