This is the Umbrella Project Page for County Donegal - Ireland
- Irish: Contae Dhún na nGall
- Administrative centre Lifford
- Province Ulster
- Area 4,841 km2 (1,869 sq mi)
- People from County Donegal are called -
- Motto Mutuam habeatis caritatem (Latin), '(Maintain among you) Mutual Love (or Charity)'
County Donega is a county in Ireland. It is part of the Border Region and is in the province of Ulster. It is named after the town of Donegal (Dún na nGall) in the south of the county. Donegal County Council is the local council for the county and Lifford serves as the county town. It has also been known as (County) Tyrconnell (Tír Chonaill), after the historic territory of the same name.
- Glenveagh National Park (formerly part of the Glenveagh Estate)
- Glenveagh Castle, a late Victorian 'folly' that was originally built as a summer residence.
There are eight historic baronies in the county:
- Inishowen East
- Inishowen West
- Raphoe North
- Raphoe South
For a full list see County Donegal, Ireland - Monumental Inscriptions, Cemeteries and Graveyards
- Donegal Town
For Information about research in the County, including lists of people of renown connected to County Donegal and Families Researched on Geni go to County Donegal - Family Heads link to follow
For Historical information about County Donegal visit Historic County Donegal link to follow - including connections to Historical figures, Gentry and political people connected with County Donegal.
The following people on Geni offer assistance -
If you have County Donegal connections please join the project and if you live in County Donegal and are prepared to offer advice or help of any kind please add yourself to the list above.
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator, or collaborating with a project collaborator - so join the project. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to Participate
- If you have any queries please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- Please add related projects to the menu on the right.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
Please do not add the profiles off all your County Donegal born ancestors to this project or the People connected to County Donegal project. Rather add the earliest known person of a County Donegal family to the County Donegal' - Family Heads] project. link to follow
References and Sources
- Barr of Inch
- Fahan Lower
- Fahan Upper
- Killybegs Upper
- Killybegs Lower
- Moville Lower
- Moville Upper