This is the Umbrella Project Page for County Galway - Ireland
- Irish: Contae na Gaillimhe
- Administrative centre Galway
- Province Connacht
- Area 6,148 km2 (2,374 sq mi)
- People from County Galway are called -
- Motto Ceart agus Cóir (Irish), "Righteousness and Justice"
County Galway is a county in Ireland. It is located in the West Region and is also part of the province of Connacht. It is named after the city of Galway. Galway County Council is the local authority for the county.
County Galway is home to Lough Corrib (the largest lake in the Republic of Ireland) the Na Beanna Beola (Twelve Bens) mountain range, Na Sléibhte Mhám Toirc (the Maum Turk mountains), and the low mountains of Sliabh Echtghe (Slieve Aughty). The highest point in the county is one of the Twelve Bens, Benbaun, at 729m.
Towns and Parishes
For Information about research in the County, including lists of people of renown connected to County Galway and Families Researched on Geni go to County Galway - Family Heads link to follow
For Historical information about County Galway visit Historic County Galway link to follow - including connections to Historical figures, Gentry and political people connected with County Galway.
The following people on Geni offer assistance -
If you have County Galway connections please join the project and if you live in County Galway and are prepared to offer advice or help of any kind please add yourself to the list above.
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator, or collaborating with a project collaborator - so join the project. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to Participate
- If you have any queries please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- Please add related projects to the menu on the right.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
Please do not add the profiles off all your County Galway born ancestors to this project or the People connected to County Galway project. Rather add the earliest known person of a County Galway family to the County Galway' - Family Heads] project. link to follow
References and Sources
Map from Irish Ancestors where there is an interactive map. can be
- Ballynakill (Ballymoe)
- Ballynakill (Ballynahinch)
- Ballynakill (Killian)
- Ballynakill (Leitrim)
- St. Nicholas