Deserters that may have changed their names in South Australia
This is a project to identify Deserters from the Navy, Merchant Navy and any other situation that would cause an individual to change their name. The Police Gazette has announcements and descriptions of these persons.
Participation is desired, please request to join this project, if you can add to it in any way. You can copy original text, and then edit, if you make a mistake, simply "Cancel" the edit, do not save it, and start again.
FROM THE SHIP " APPELLES," AT PORT ADELAIDE AUGUST '10 AND 21ST, 1875.
- John Smith, aged 23, 5ft. 5in. high, slight build, fair complexion, no whiskers or moustache, blind of the left eye ; Irish.
- John Lewis, aged 25, 5ft. 5in. high, medium build, fair complexion, no whiskers or moustache ; English.
- Leon Alleyne, aged 24, 5ft. 7in. high, thin build, boyish appearance, brown hair, no whiskers or moustache ; a Frenchman.
£3 each reward for all deserters from this ship.
FROM THE SHIP "DARRA," AT PORT ADELAIDE AUGUST 15, 1875.
- James Somerville, aged 19, 5ft. 6in. high, fair complexion, slight build, small fair whiskers and moustache.
FROM THE SHIP " PROGRESS," AT PORT ADELAIDE AUGUST 17, 1875.
- Neils Christensen, a Norwegian, aged 25, 5ft. 6in. high, black beard and whiskers, dark complexion, no moustache, face slightly swelled. £10 reward.