People Connected to Devon
People connected to Devon can be placed in the following groups.
Historical and Political people
- accommodated by the project Historical Devon which covers the History of Devon and historical/political people. Some of these are also listed in the Famous people category.
Families with their roots in Devon.
Please add the earliest head of the family to the list of Devon Families on Geni below and link their profiles to the project. These should be male! Adding anyone with a Devon birthplace to the project would cause the project to be a little cluttered, so please restrict this to the earliest head of family!
Famous or Notable People
Those people of note with connections to the county are listed below. Some of these connections are a little tenuous - counties like to lay claim to people of renown! Please visit Devon - Famous People and add them to the listing there.
People from Devon who went to the "New world" and were early progenitors in those countries. Where the earliest ancestor is known please add them to the list of "Devon families on Geni" below if that was their roots, or to the appropriate county project.
Where the earliest known ancestor is the emigrant add them to the list below. In some cases if there is a project that covers them in detail please link the project - there is no point in duplicating the list.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles. Non-bold links take you to other biographical web pages.
Please add countries to the list as required.
Devon Genealogical Resources
- Genuki Devon Page
- Devon Family History Society
- IGI Batch numbers for Devon
- FreeReg Devon
- The visitation of the county of Devon in the year 1620
Devon Families on Geni
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
- George COURTYS Place of birth unconfirmed but Devon is probable.
- Robert Martyn (abt 1534-1612), of Stockenham
- George Strong of Chardstock
Emigrants from Devon
Please add the names of people from Devon who settled in the "New World"
- Thomas Downham to Kent county, Delaware
- Peter Gee (1615-1682) bp Newton Ferrers, to Boston, Massachusetts Bay Colony by 1653
- * Great Migration: Passengers of the Mary & John, 1630 "Nearly all of the Mary and John 1630 passengers came from the West Country counties of Somerset, Dorset , Devon, and West Country towns of Dorchester, Bridport, Crewkerne and Exeter."