People Connected to Dorset
People connected to Dorset can be placed in the following groups.
Historical and Political people
- accommodated by the project Historic Dorset Link to Follow which covers the History of Dorset and historical/political people. Some of these are also listed in the Famous people category.
Families with their roots in Dorset.
Please add the earliest head of the family to the list of Dorset Families on Geni below and link their profiles to the project. These should be male! Adding anyone with a Dorset birthplace to the project would cause the project to be a little cluttered, so please restrict this to the earliest head of family!
Famous or Notable People
Those people of note with connections to the county are listed below. Some of these connections are a little tenuous - counties like to lay claim to people of renown! Please visit Dorset - Famous People and add them to the listing there.
People from Dorset who went to the "New world" and were early progenitors in those countries. Where the earliest ancestor is known please add them to the list of "Dorset families on Geni" below if that was their roots, or to the appropriate county project.
Where the earliest known ancestor is the emigrant add them to the list below. In some cases if there is a project that covers them in detail please link the project - there is no point in duplicating the list.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles. Non-bold links take you to other biographical web pages.
Dorset Genealogical Resources
- Dorset Online Parish Clerks
- Dorset Family History and Genealogy
- Dorset Genealogy Resources
- Somerset & Dorset Family History Society
Dorset Reading Material
- Rodney Legg - Dorset Smuggling
Dorset Families on Geni
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
- John Corbin (ca. 1575- ), "of" Upwey
- John Hayter the Elder (1694-c1770)
- Samuel Porter (ca. 1567 - d.), Dorchester
- Johan Sprague (ca. 1501-1526), Upwey
- Thomas Warren Fordington
Emigrants from Dorset
Please add the names of people from Dorset who settled in the "New World"
- Governor John Endicott (1588 - 1665), Dorchester
- Passengers of the Lyon's Whelp departed April 5, 1629 from Gravesend, England; colonists (recruited by Gov. Endicott) from Dorset
- Great Migration: Passengers of the Mary & John, 1630 "Nearly all of the Mary and John 1630 passengers came from the West Country counties of Somerset, Dorset , Devon, and West Country towns of Dorchester, Bridport, Crewkerne and Exeter."