This is a sub project to House of Oldenburg the main target is to make a complete list of the rulers of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp incl sub lines from 1544 to present.
Dukes of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp
Dukes of Scheswig and Holstein in Gottorp:
- Adolf 1544-1586
- Frederick II 1586-1587
- Philip 1587-1590
- John Adolf 1590-1616
- Frederick III 1616 -1659
- Christian Albert 1659 -1694
- Frederick IV 1694 - 1702
- Charles Frederick 1702 - 1713
Dukes of Holstein-Gottorp:
- Charles Frederick 1702 -1739
- Karl Peter Ulrich later Peter III of Russia 1739 -1762
- Paul (later Paul I of Russia) 1762 -1773
In 1773, the remaining lands of the duchy of Holstein were ceded to the king of Denmark. Paul received in compensation the lands of Oldenburg and Delmenhorst, which he transferred to a kinsman. The ducal family kept just the title, while their actual rule ended and was never resumed.
Titular dukes of Holstein-Gottorp
- Paul 1773 - 1801 Emperor 1796–1801 kept the honorary title
- Alexander I of Russia 1801 -1825
- Constantine Pavlovich 1825 - 1831
- Nicholas I (Николай I Павлович)_ 1825-1855
- Alexander II (Александр II Николаевич) 1855-1881
- Alexander III Alexandrovich (Александр III Александрович) 1881-1894
- Nicholas II (Николай II Александрович)_ 1894-1917
- Cyril Vladimirovich 1918-1938 Grand Duke of Russia] After the murder of the Emperor and Tsarevitch in 1918, the title passed to the surviving senior male branch of the Romanov family.
- Vladimir Kirillovich, Grand Duke of Russia 1938 -1992 Grand Duke Vladimir died with only female issue, and so the title should pass to the senior male member of the House of Romanov-Holstein-Gottorp. To whom is a contested issue.
The usual understanding[ is that the heir is the non-dynastic son of Grand Duke Dimitri, only son of Grand Duke Paul, himself the youngest brother of Alexander III. This heir is non-dynastic in the Russian sense, but the House of Oldenburg had no full limitations against unequal marriages, and Schleswig, where the (once sovereign) Schloss Gottorp is located, was never part of Holy Roman Empire and under its jurisdiction. These heirs live in USA and have not staked a public claim to titles.
- Paul Dimitrievich Romanovsky-Ilyinsky 1992 - 2004
- Dimitri Pavlovich Romanovsky-Ilyinsky 2004 - present
Kings of Sweden
Dukes of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp on the Swedish Thrown: