Early Rhodesian Settlers - after the Treks
The aim of this project is to add Geni profiles of early Southern Rhodesian/Rhodesian Settlers post 1895 (not considered to be Pioneers) who went to Rhodesia after the main Pioneering Treks of 1892 to 1895, and who are not listed on those projects. It excludes the territories to the North - Northern Rhodesa/Zambia and Nyasaland/Malawi
- Thomas Moodie Trek 1892
- Moolman - Webster Trek 1893
- Edenburg Trek 1894
- Martin Trek 1894
- Mynhardt - Utrecht Trek 1894
- Kruger-Bekker Trek 1895
- Henry-Steyn Trek 1895
Please add the names of the settler and accompanying family members to the list below, (not the descendants), linking the names to their profiles where you can elaborate on their story. Add them to the project as well. Initially be can have a cut-off date of 1915 but this can be up for discussion!
To take part in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so join the project. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to Participate
- Please add only the profiles of those who migrated to the area to this project (not their descendants)! This is easily done from the profile page using the Add to project link.
- If you have any queries related to these settlers please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- Please add related projects to the menu on the right.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
- Bernhardus Hermanus Bester and his wife Anna Maria Petronella de Wet, (1872-1940) 1908. (Mrs. Bester). The biograghy of Anna Maria Petronella Bester (nee de Wet), is one of sixty biographies the book, Down Memory Lane with Some Early Rhodesian Women, written by Madeline Heald. The Bester family trekked to Rhodesia by mule-wagons, arriving in Enkeldoorn on 1 October 1908.
- Izak Andries Delport (1848-1922), sy vrou Susanna Jakoba Magritha Delport (1859-1927), hulle kinders Izak Andries Delport (1877-1941), Petrus Marthinus Jacobus Delport (1880-1952) Aletta Elizabeth Delport (1890-1948) vertrek met die trein na Rhodesia in 1908, saam met die Van der Merwe en Keyter families.
- Johannes Daniel Jansen van Rensburg (1864-1948) and his wife (first cousin) Maria Jacomina Jansen van Rensburg (1862-1935) took their family to Rhodesia after the Boer War - date not known possibly after 1911.
- Pieter Bernardus Keyter (1887-1963), sy vrou Susanna Jacoba Magritha (Pop) Keyter (1888-1965) vertrek met die trein na Rhodesia in 1908, saam met die Delport en Van der Merwe families.
- Barend Daniel Marais (1864-1964) Migrated around 1911 with his wife Elizabeth Magdalena Smit and children. He had followed his brother Cornelius Hermanus who was on the Henry-Steyn Trek.
- Jan Jonathan Stephanus Marais (c.1870-1918) brother of Barend Daniel above
- Willem Abraham Marais (c.1886-1916) brother of Barend Daniel above
- Elizabeth Magdalena Smit (1874-1915) Wife of Barend Daniel Marais
- Jan Carl van der Merwe (1877-1964), sy vrou Cecilia Johanna (Hannie) van der Merwe (1884-1962), hulle twee kinders Susan van der Merwe (1904-1919) en JK(Ouboet) van der Merwe (1906-1997) vertrek met die trein na Rhodesia in 1908, saam met die Delport en Keyter families.
- Álbertus Johannes van der Merwe (1872-1942), en sy vrou Hendrina Wilhelmina van der Merwe (1871-1926), hulle kinders Jan Carel van der Merwe, Frederick Jacobus van der Merwe en Catherina Maria van der Merwe.
- Anna Maria Petronella de Wet, (1872-1940) 1908. (Mrs. Bester). The biograghy of Anna Maria Petronella Bester (nee de Wet), is one of sixty biographies the book, Down Memory Lane with Some Early Rhodesian Women, written by Madeline Heald. The Bester family trekked to Rhodesia by mule-wagons, arriving in Enkeldoorn on 1 October 1908.