Early Settlers of Enkeldoorn - H
This is a sub-project of Early Settlers of Enkeldoorn - Main Page
Extracted from Publication -
THE WHITES OF ENKELDOORN 1880 to 1980
A history of the families of european descent who settled in the area of Enkeldoorn (renamed Chivu) Rhodesia. now Zimbabwe.
Author -- Sarel Van der Walt
Completed in approximately the year 2001
POPULATION ENKELDOORN - H
... and some GUTU RELATIVES 1880 TO 1980 All family details, dates, residences and occupations as far as could be ascertained. List not complete)
- Martha Margaretha x Gabriel Pieter Davel 1 child.
- Frederik Jacobus x Maria Elizabeth Schlebusch
- Gerbrand Abraham x Martha Ettrusia Steinman
- Johannes Bernardus 22-10-34
- Gertruida Aletta 11-11-1906 / 18-8-76 in town
- Elsie Aletta x Hendrik Johannes van der Merwe 3 children.
- Johanna Fredrika Wilhelmina x Bernardus (Barend) Hermanus van der Merwe 5 children.
- Elizabeth Johanna x Michael Jan Marthinus Brits 1 child.
- Cornelius Rudolph x Anna Catharina Potgieter (her 2x) 1 child.
- Anna Maria 9-8-17
- Gerhardus Lodewikus x Margaretha Gertruida Prinsloo
- Edward x ? farmed on Lovedale
- Basil x ? farmed Lovedale
- grandson ? x ? farmed Lovedale
- Basil x ? farmed Lovedale
- M.G. Umvuma town
The Hamman family arrived as a group about 1894. There is no record of the family connections.
- Maria Magaretha x Dirk Wouter du Plooy 1860 / 1896 (both murdered 1896) 7 children.
- Maria Magrieta Magdalena (? 1887/1968) x Pieter Lourens Ferreira (his 2x) ? 7 children.
- Helena Classina x Christiaan Rudolph Lombard 1891 / 21-10-45
- Maria Elizabeth x Abraham Albertus Nysschen 2 children.
- Elizabeth Susanna x Johannes Wilhelmus van Niekerk Bezuidenhout 4 children.
- Anna Catharina (HUMAN) x Jacob Johannes Meyer
- Francina Elizabeth x Lesley O'Linn 1 child.
- Sarah Maria 17-9-1898 /12-1-1965
- Cecilia Jacoba 1930
- Frederick Richard (Frikkie) 7-7-1870 / 10-9-16 x Elizabeth Francina Bothma ? / 27-8-38
- Willem George 1887 / 1968 x Martha Johanna van Tonder 1890 / 1980. They settled on Mooifontein where he farmed till he died. The children all left the district.
- Johannes Jurgens 25-2-1873 / 5-2-43 arrived 1894 x Sara Maria Kruger 17-9-1898/12-1-65 They farmed about 25 miles along Buhera Road.
- Hester Susanna Aletta 9-3-20 x Anthonie Christiaan Frederik Barnard 30-8-14 5 children.
- Johannes Jurgens 29-12-21 x Maria Katharina Vermaak.
- Johannes Jurgens 15-9-50
- Roelof Andries 17-9-23
- Sara Maria 1-9-25 x Gert Christiaan Johannes Cloete 3 children.
- Anna Elsabie 17-10-27 x Johannes Theodorus Vermaak 1 child.
- Cecilia Jacomina 21-8-32
- Frederik Richard 20-11-37
- Jacobus Philippus 25-2-40
- De Wet Albertus x Anna Margaretha Pepler
- Margaretha Elizabeth 1-1-27
- Josias Hendrik x Alida Johanna McFerrier
- Daphne Elizabeth 2-4-32
- Walter x ? Farmed on Abercorn Ranch Producing tobacco. Prominent in community work, I.C.A., Farmers associations etc. Abercorn sold to ? then to Buck Erasmus.
- Martha Jacoba x Christoffel Johannes du Toit. 3 children.
- John Walter x Aletta Susanna Ferreira
- Evelyn Irene 24-4-16
- Doris Eva 12-2-17
- Ralph Edwin 12-3-18
Family farmed on Knockhalt then Bruce family
- ? x (In Vaalkop Lager) Petronella Johanna Elizabeth Adlam left area. 2 children.
- ?? x ? Magistrate at Enkeldoorn and first Chairman of Featherstone Road Council Secretary of Gymkhana 1948
- C. Cattle inspector
- Wilhelmina Susanna x Daniel Hartman Ferreira 5 children.
- Catharina Wilhelmina x Jacobus Johannes de Wet 2 children.
- Catharina Johanna x Petrus Johannes Grobler 1 child.
- Dina Maria x Hendrik Matthys Meyer 1c
- Johanna Elizabeth x Jacobus Arnoldus van Breda 1 child.
- Nellie Caroline x Willem Cornelius Jacobus Wessels 2 child.
- Aletta Margaretha
- Susanna Raynard 1918
- Wilhelmus x Hubertha Fredrika Rademeyer
- Louise Jessie 5-3-12
- Petrus Johannes 1898 x Cornelia Elizabeth Vosloo
- Hope Elizabeth 27-2-32
- Andries Peter x Felicity Meiring
- Jenny Lou 15-9-65
HEEVER VAN DEN
- Cornelius Johannes 1873-1948 x Anna Susanna Stassen 1877-1966
- Daniel Francois 1919-1976 x Anna Aletta Snyman
- Anna Aletta x Tredoux
- Mr. x Mrs. were first owners of Plein and Co. store
- Johanna Salomina Barendina x Jubilee James Symington 22-111917 / 29-6-1976 5 children.
- Alfrieda Magdalena x Pieter Johannes Cornelius de Klerk 3 children.
- Anna Jacoba Susanna x Benjamin Robert Layard 4 children.
- Johannes Michiel x Johanna Anna Layard
- Willem Daniel x Hester Catharina Kriek
- Isabella Johanna 5-8-17
- Carel Pieter x Johanna Nicolasina Stoffelina Rossouw
- Essias Reinier x Maggie Margaretha Cloete
- Pieter Johannes 3-9-35
- Rosina Elizabeth x Nicolaas Johannes Benade 1 child.
- Catharina Elizabeth Lauretta x Barend Hendrik Josephus Mienie 3 children.
- Phylis Joyce Pierce x Jacobus Cornelius Andrew Pauw. 2 children.
- Dona Maria Herbst x Walter Brumage Richards 2 children.
- Sarah Mathilda x Adriaan Werendly Roux Rademeyer 4 children.
- Elizabeth Johanna x John Rennie 1c
- Adriana Marthina Jacoba x Johan David Heyns 2 children.
- Frederik Johannes x Christina Johanna Lourens
- Marthinus Johannes 11-9-16
- Johan Francois x Katrina Elizabeth Kriel
- Johan Christiaan Jacobus x Anna Sophia Nel
- Andries Jacobus x Elsie Christina Versbeld
- Rose Christina 23-1-41
- Marthinus Johannes x Johanna Sophia Nel
- Henry Stephen Nel 3-10-58
- Stephanus Johannes x Louisa Maria Baard
- Stephanus Johannes 12-7-83
- James Richard 1904 x Lillian Brink
- James Richard 4-5-40
- John Johannes x Louisa Johanna Steyn
- Karen 27-9-73
- Petrus Paulus Johannes x Hendrika Wilhelmina Welman
- Petrus Paulus 10-8-34
- Catharina Susanna 1919 x Vincent Harold Abrams 2 children.
- Alexander Jacobus 12-2-1860 / 28-12-28 x Magdalene Susanna Gertruida Johanna Steenkamp 22-7-1875 / 14-9-54 They lived about 9 miles along Range road.
- Hans Jacob 1-3-1893 / 10-1-62 x Anna Maria Hendrika Petronella Briedenhann ? / 7-7-78
- Alexander Jacobus 23-3-1886 / 14-10-68 x Martha Cornelia Maria Rinke
- Martha Cornelia Maria 22-7-23
- Alexander Jacobus 28-9-26 x Heila Elizabeth Pretorius
- Alexander Jacobus 30-10-60
- Schalk Willem 16-8-29 x Dinah Elizabeth Uys 1937
- Janetta Renetta Cornelia 5-2-34 x Roelof Adriaan Pretorius 1 child.
- Johan David x Adriana Marthina Jacoba Herbst
- Maria Magdalena Catharina 16-6-1888 / 2-2-69 x Albertus Thomas Rinke 22-11-1888 / 15-4-1954 6 children.
- Magrieta Magdalena x ? 71 James William Wray 2c
- Alexander Jacobus 23-3-1886 / 14-10-68
- Andries Jacobus 19-8-1906/12-6-18
- Josias Hoffnan (Jnr) was by himself for 45 days, on his father's farm Geluksverwacht, looking after the Hoffman and Louw de Klerk cattle. Frequently flat on his back for several days with malaria and the cattle attacked by lions and other predators. People passed by on their way back to their own farms and left carcasses of cattle that died of rinderpest on the farm, with the result that the Hoffman and de Klerk cattle were infected. Of a total 230, only 8 survived.
Josias Martin was he eldest son of J.P. Hoffman, President of Orange Free State. Josias married his first cousin Susanna Alida Hoffman, daughter of J.J. Hoffman. In 1891 the Hoffman family group, living near Potchefstroom, Transvaal sent two members Louw Hoffman and Frans Botha, to inspect the region near Fort Charter and if satisfied, to peg twenty-four farms to be occupied by the group. They liked the area alongside the Umniati river near the Manesi hills and after pegging the farms along both banks of the river, returned to Pochefstroom where their report was favourable.
The family group, under Josias Martin Hoffman, travelled by ox-wagon. They departed from Wolmaransstad near Potchefstroom on 13 June 1893. They arrived at Kudushoek (renamed Pennyfather) sixteen and half months later, on 1 November 1894.
For more details read the Hoffman Trek.
- Josef Adlam and family had arrived in the district two months before them, the only other near neighbours were the Potgieter family who had arrived in 1891.
On the first night after their arival a lion killed two cattle. It happened to be the first loss to lions throughout their trek. Two days later it was shot. The brothers Josias and Danie, on horseback, were surprised by a charge but the lion stopped a few yards from them when the dogs attacked the lion with the Hoffmans watching. The brothers Potgieter, their new neighbours arrived on foot and immediately took steps to kill the lion. David Potgieter shot it through the ribs but it continued to attack and was on the point of jumping at Josias when his shot in the head dropped it. The first of many lions he killed.
In addition to the lions, their livestock as well as the humans were under constant threat of attack by leopards, hyenas and wild-dogs. On one occasion Josias (Jnr) and Louw Hoffman came across about 30 wild-dogs that started circling round them prior to the attack. The pack dispersed only after six had been shot.
On occasion all seven members of the family were down, seriously ill with malaria and unable to help eachother or prepare meals. They shared many other problems with their neighbours as detailed in the varios chapters dealing with specific matters.
It is on record that in spite of the difficulties, the Hoffmans were a cheerful family and as was the case with their forebears during the Great (Afrikaner) Trek, each member had a bible and song book and there were regular home services.
- Josias Martin x Susanna Alida Hoffman settled on Geluksverwacht.
- b1 Josias Philip 24-11-1867 x Susanna Cornelia Groenewald They farmed on Inhoek.
- Josias Martin Philip 10-2-12
- Maria Susanna Margaretha Elizabeth 1-5-13
- Jacobus Hermanus 31-7-14
- Johan Bernhard 15-7-16
- Susanna Alida Cornelia 12-10-18
- Petrus Jacobus 25-5-20
- Daniel Cornelius 23-7-23
- Cornelius Jansen Taljaard (Kais) 22-6-27 x Cornelia (Corrie) de Klerk 2 sons 1 daughter.
- Mathian Johannes Cornelius 5-5-29 x Anna Brits
- Josias Martin Philip 15-2-32
- Elizabeth Margaretha 9-12-35
Josias Philip had his crops on Inhoek, planted by Christmas 1894 and went to visit his family. On his return he found van Rooyen in occupation. Van Rooyen refused to move off, claiming that Josias had abandoned the farm. The matter was decided by Veld Kornet Tom Ferreira who advised that it be treated as a sale and the farm changed ownership for thirty pounds. Josias then moved to the farm Kudushoek which his brother Mathiam was vacating to go gold mining at Gatooma. Josias changed the name to Pennyfather. He sometimes walked to Sterkstroom to visit the de Klerks for up to a week.
- b2 Marthina x Jan Greyling (his 2x) (part of Hoffman trek) 3 children.
- b3 Daniel Cornelius 1880 x Catharina Petronella Bester (Nellie of Sterkfontein). Lemoenfontein
- Daniel moved to Mexico near Ngesi river next to Charter Estate and then to Salisbury.
- b4 Matthiam Johannes Cornelius x Annie Britz, sister of Pieter Johannes from Kudushoek.
- b5 Albertus Wynand Wietske 4-9-1883/ 9-7-73 x Susanna Magdalena Naude 25-8-1893/12-5-83.
- b5 being under 16 received only half Leeufontein.
- 2x Susanna Maria Naude
- Children from x
- Children from 2x
- b6 Louw (Being under 8 did not get a farm.) He died in 1918 unmarried.
- Louw Johan 23-10-1865/12-12-1925 (brother in law of Josias Martin) with wife and daughter, travelled as part of the Hoffman trek and arrived on 1 November 1894. They farmed on Loudia.
- b1 Josias Willem x Susanna Cornelia Groenewald
- * child 9-12-35
- b2 Louw x Emily Wheeler They lived on Roodebult.
- b3 Jacobus Johannes x Maria Johanna Cloete
- Anna Maria Susanna 22-3-19
- b4 Cornelius Johannes Petrus x Dorothea Petronella Greyling
- Amarenthia Fredrika 23-2-44
- b5 Louw Johan x Martha Margaretha Steyn
- Margaretha Magdalena Jacomina x William Norman Broughton 1 child.
- Maria Johanna x Jeremias Cornelius Oosthuizen Naude 10 children.
- Susanna Alida x Cornelius Johannes Nel 1 child.
- Elizabeth Margaretha x Hermanus Johannes Smartryk Venter 1 child.
- Frans arrived 1895
- David Jacobus x Johanna Hester Susarah Jansen van Vuuren
- Andries Philippus 7-10-11
- Johanna Elizabeth x Andries Antonie du Plessis 2c
- Johanna Elizabeth Horn x Markus Johannes Smith (early settler) 2c
- Philippa x Douglas James Kok 1958
- Frans farmed near Charter Estate employed as Overseer by Featherstone Road Council
- ? x Maria Magdalens de Klerk d.o. Old Teuns de Klerk
- Martin William x Maria Francina Elizabeth Esterhuizen
- Susie Madeline 4-5-33
- Johanna Sophia 29-12-1850/17-8-35 x Jacobus Ignatius de Wet (killed in action Anglo/Boer war) 11c
- Aletta Maria x Christoffel Jacobus Cronje 1 child.
- Magdalena Johanna van As 1919 x Arnoldus Mauritius Blignaut 5 children.
- Susara Cornelia 1928
- Pieter Wilhelm x Johanna Sophia Venter
- Hendrik 1895 x Adrianna Johanna du Plessis
- Johanna Danieta 8-1-31
- Jan Hendrik x Elizabeth Hennesse