Early Settlers of Enkeldoorn - L
This is a sub-project of Early Settlers of Enkeldoorn - Main Page
Extracted from Publication -
THE WHITES OF ENKELDOORN 1880 to 1980
A history of the families of european descent who settled in the area of Enkeldoorn (renamed Chivu) Rhodesia. now Zimbabwe.
Author -- Sarel Van der Walt
Completed in approximately the year 2001
POPULATION ENKELDOORN - L
... and some GUTU RELATIVES 1880 TO 1980 All family details, dates, residences and occupations as far as could be ascertained. List not complete)
- Hester Johanna x Jacobus Albertus Steyn 2 children.
- Pieter x Sara Susanna Gagiano 20-2-24 1 child. They left the area.
- Elizabeth Helena x Magiel Jacobus Joubert 6 children.
- Elizabeth Helena 2x Thomas Johannes Bezuidenhout
- They arrived in 1895, shortly before Magiel died. Elizabeth was the widow Joubert at the 1896 Sterkfontein fight.
- Elizabeth Helena 2x Thomas Johannes Bezuidenhout
- Aletta Adriana x Esafas Philippus Petrus Vosloo 1 child.
- Thomas Mattheus 27-8-10 / 25-8-80 x Magdalena Elizabeth Smit
- Thomas Mattheus x Jacomina Christina Fivaz
- Thomas Matteus x Delene Dippenaar
- Tom snr x Annie Smith
- Casper ? / 1905, arrived 1895 with his wife and two sons, they settled on Inhoek, then moved to Girliesfontein and later to the permanent family home on Uitkyk. Homesteads were originally pole and daga then using sandstone mined near Manese hills the permanent homestead was built. Casper died ? 1905
- Casparus Wilhelmus 1864 x Catharina Hendrina du Plooy 2x Cornelia Maria Barnard nee Meintjies (her 2x)
- Children from x
- Children from 2x
- Andries Jacobus 1890 x Jacoba Maria Naude
- Jan Christiaan 1893 x Catharina Margaretha Jordaan
- Christina Susanna 5-5-21
- Casparus Wilhelmus 11-9-27
- Lukas Andries 26-6-29 x Aletta Cornelia Lewis 7-7-38 (not local)
- Rudolph Arnoldus August 1896 x Maria Margaretha Susanna Meyer
- Adrian Petrus 1904-1975 x Maria Petronella Gagiano
- Jacoba Maria 4-4-27 x Theunis Gert Coetzee 17-7-22 2 children.
- Christina Susanna 1921 x Lukas Cornelius Bronkhorst 5 children.
- Louisa Maria Catharina x Andries Johannes Cloete 2 children.
- Margaretha Elizabeth x Albertus Johannes Jacobus Jordaan 1 child.
- Hendrik Andries 9-11-29
- Christina Johanna 21-7-34
- Adriaan Petrus 9-3-37
- Willem arrived 1894 with wife, three sons and two daughters
- Hester Elizabeth x Christiaan Hendrik Botha 1 child.
- Johan Christiaan x Johanna Gustaves Oosthuizen
- Catharina Jacoba 24-9-21
- Johannes Christiaan 12-9-23
- Petrus Engemachzina 10-2-28
- Johan Jacob x Gertruida Anna Magdalena Sherman
- Christiaan Jacobus 11-4-13
- Nellie Francis x Alet Dorate Schoultz 5 children.
- Catherine Cornelia x Frederik Johannes van der Merwe
- Johan Frederik x Anna Petronella du Toit
- Guileame Johannes 5-9-46
- Walter Gerhardus Johannes x Annelie Erasmus
- Walter Jacobus 22-3-91
- Antonie 7-7-92
- The brothers arrived before 1895
- Andries Hendrik x Susanna Margaretha Maria Bester (her 2x, the x van der Merwe)
- Maria Elizabeth 7-4-11
- Helena Elizabeth x Johannes Jacobus van Zyl 1 child.
- Helena Susanna x Benjamin Hermanus Zietsman 1 child.
- Johannes Lodewikus x Mary Mabel Magdalena Hollaway
- Henry 13-1-13
- Esther 26-12-16
- Walter (Capt. B.S.A.P.) 1875/20-7-54 x Jean Montgomery 1884/18-9-1954
Trustee of Gymkhana Club Funds during World War 2 dormancy
- Johanna Anna x Johannes Michiel van Helsdingen 3c
- Mathilda x Thomas Johannes Bezuidenhout 5c
- Elizabeth Catharina x Michiel Casper Steyn 1c
- Benjamin Robert x Anna Jacoba Susanna van Helsdingen
- Adriana Maria x Daniel Christiaan Cremer 1 child.
- Harry x ?, general dealer and farmer. He had a smart horsecart, well groomed horses and showy harness.
- Aletta Cornelia 7-7-38 x Lukas Andries Lamprecht 26-6-29 3 child.
- Dirk Jacobus x Akita Wilhelmina Christina ? (she 2x Dirk Jacobus du Preez)
- The Ned. Geref. Church headquarters at Cape Town dispatched Rev. Albertus Jacobus Liebenberg to assume responsibility for missionary and teaching leadership, of the Munyati congregation. He arrived at Beira on 6 May 1896, in the company of Rev's Le Roux and Strassheim. The Mashona war caused him to be delayed at Umtali and after traveling with escort, arrived at Fort Salisbury on 8 August 1896. He was again delayed at Fort Salisbury where he served as a Sergeant in the military forces. He met Rhodes and the two men became friends. When he left for Munyati, accompanied by Lampbrecht, Rhodes asked him to locate a suitable site for a town for which Rhodes specified basic conditions. He arrived at the lager on Vaalkop in October 1896 with C Lamprecht and on 1 November 1896 and on1-11-1896 baptised the first child of his career, it was Rudolph Smith.
In 1899, Rev. Liebenberg married Engela Neetling a school teacher. They traveled by train as far as Bulawayo, then by ox-wagon to Iron mine Hill and from there by Zeederberg coach. He became the central motivating force within the community. He attended to all church functions, sometimes acting without the Church Council authority when the members failed to attend meetings. He was school teacher and secretary of the Farmers Association which he had organised. Numerous attempts by Church authorities to have him transferred, were nullified by the steadfast opposition of his congregation who regarded him as their undisputed leader. He died in 1933. To his memory and selfless service, is recorded that he selected the site where the town was established, started the Farmers Association, The cheese factory, School hostels, Meeting house, Magnificent church and a legend of friendship. His contemporary, Rev. Crisp wrote in glowing terms of his help and friendship. His name will be remembered as a lasting monument to a great man. The Liebenberg school is named after him. In 1902 (?) he represented the Enkeldoorn community at the funeral of Cecil John Rhodes.
- Albertus Jacobus Rev. ?/1933 x Engela Johanna Neetling 8-1-1879/25-3-1966 (not local). They had seven children, four survived early childhood.
- Marie Antoinette (2 years) ?-11-1920
- Maria Magdalena (7 months) 4-2-1905
- Maria Antoinette (Mardie) 19-9-18 x ?
- Lucie Lulu x ?
- Mardie was a nursing sister at Enkeldoorn Hospital, left area after marriage but returned later. Mardie was outgoing while Lulu was shy.
Lulu was a school teacher at Liebenberg School and in particular taught music and singing When Mardie tried to get Lulu to take up nursing Lulu was taken aback and replied "lay my hands on a man, never!" In later life Mardie lived with her mother in town where she had a lovely garden On occasion at a party Mardie complained that the town was dead and conspired with a friend. She then (at midnight) rang the D.R.C. bell while her fellow conspiritor rang the Anglican church bell.
- Maria Magdalena x John Frederik Adlam ? / 66 5c
- Herbrecht Catharina x Louis Johannes Botha 1c
- Aletta Clara x Rudolph Gerhardus Erasmus 1c
- Rudolph x Maria van den Bergh lived in town
LINDE VAN DER
- Petronella Sophia x Gert Stephanus Nel (Early settler)
- Susanna x George Harry Gates 1 child. He was a bank teller.
- Neville Rogers (Eugene) x Caroline Nora Kirstein
- Douglas John 20-9-59
- Dr. Well known and excellent physician and surgeon with a record of 100% skilful and successful circumcisions, tonsils and appendectomies.
- Hendrik Willem 27-8-1897/ 2-9-60 x Johanna Elizabeth Margaretha Viljoen 14-9-1900/23-7-68
- Martha Catharina 17-8-33
- Hugo Amos 10-8-1899 / 7-9-75 x Johanna E.M. Viljoen 29-3-1899/27-5-57 (local butcher). SEE DEATH NOTICES.
- Johanna Helena Alberta 14-9-1900 / 23-7-1968
- Jacobus Wilhelmus 1907
- Martha Sophia nee ? 24-7-1903/3-3-1983
- Catherine Maria Susanna nee? 28-1-1912/5-2-1977
- Willem Hendrik Jnr x Anna Magdalena Smith
- Cornelia Maria Christina x Hendrik Willem Blignaut 7 children.
- Hilletjie Aletta Jacoba x James Wheeler 7 children.
- Elsie Hendrika Jacoba x Benjamin Coetzee 19-1-29 3 children.
- Bessie x Cyril Tarr 1 son. 1 daughter. (Umtagasa Farm)
- Johanna Elizabth Margaretha 1923
- Christina Johanna 1933
- Hendrik Willem 1934
- Hilletjie Aletta Jacoba 1936 All the children left the area .
- William Hendrik jnr bought Just In Time from Wiggel. He was known to move frequently from farm to farm including Schoongesight. Active in Community work.
- Johanna Herculina Lombard x Petrus Gerhardus de Wet 3 children.
- Sophia (Sofie) x Petrus Cornelius Odendaal 22-4-1896
- Hester Petronella x Hermanus Jacobus Botha 1 child.
- Elizabeth Johanna Margaretha 1919
- Francina Elizabeth 1921
- Jacobus Hendrikus x Luitha Davina (Dawn) Dippenaar
- Christiaan Rudolph July 1921-10-45 x Helena Classina Hamman
- Petrus Johannes x [http://www.geni.com/people/Martha-Susanna-Lombard/6000000019920708205?through=6000000027666869731 Martha Susanna Grobler
- Anthonie Christoffel Lombard 31-3-20
- Elizabeth Catharina x Gabriel Petrus Stoltz 2-4-18 1 child.
- Audry xTheunis Christiaan de Klerk 27-10-46 ?c
- Salomina Magdalena x Johannes Hendrik van Wyk 1 child.
- Gertruida Cornelia x Petrus Gerhardus Diedericks 4 children.
- Christina Johanna x Frederik Johannes Herbst 1 child.
- Catharina Elizabeth x Frederik Carel Greeff 2 children.
- Anita Stella 1931
- Maria Catharina x Johannes Theodorus Vermaak 1 child.
- Jemima Murray x Malcolm Wilhelm Retief 1 child.
- Philippus Lodewikus 1922
- Lorraine Ada x Hendrik O'Neill
- Closer Cherie x Willem Jacobus Smit 1 child.
- Charles Mondham 1870/1937