Three men, Cannell, Grootwahl and Swanepoel from Edenburg were chosen as delegates to go an inspect the country of Rhodesia, their expenses being paid by the trekkers interested in settling there.
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so join the project. Sharon Doubell has set up a discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
Edenburg Trek 1894
Alfred Samuel Gifford (c. 1853-1929) and his wife Emma Phoebe Glanz (c. 1860-1936)
Johann Hendrik Herbst (c.1850-1894) and his wife Sarah Maria Griesel (c.1854-1911)
- Elizabeth Johanna Herbst (c.1882-1959) Married John Rennie in 1897
- Johann Francois Herbst (c.1884-1938) Married Catherina Elizabeth Kriel (No issue from either marriage)
- Sarah Matilda Herbst (Molly) (c.1889-1957) married Adriaan Werendly Roux Rademeyer 1909.
- William Siegfried Herbst (c.1892-1961) Married 1. May Hyacinth NN 2. Johanna Terblanche 1931
- Dora Maria Herbst (c.1894-1969) married Walter Brumage Richards
Clifford Ramsay Cannell (1858-1905) and his wife Maria Meltina Mollett (Molly) (1868-1900)
Daniel Nel, his wife and 3 children.
Rhodesia's Pioneer Women
MRS. DANIEL NEL, 1894
Came in the Edenburg Trek with her husband and three daughters, but returned within a short time on account of the death of her husband. Information from Mrs. Otterson, Chipinga.
- T. van der Walt and 2 children.
- Frank Douglas Cannell.
- E. Dorking.
- Emil Grotwahl/Grootwahl (c.1866-1898) and his wife Katrina Grootwahl (Born Herbst).
Emil was born in Hamburg, Germany, the son of Wilhelm Grotwahl and Maria. He was a farmer and died in the wagon of J English near Sabi Victoria drift on 10th July 1898 aged 32 years and 4 months of 'inflamation of lungs'. This couple had 2 children -
- Elizabeth Luesa Stella Grotwahl (died Nov. 1930 - her ZIM DN 37/122 has no information recorded)
- Emilina Hilda Theodora Grotwahl
- Michael Herbst.
- Herbst - see below
- ? Hulett.
- J. Pienaar.
- Angus Rusbridge died on 7th Jan 1895, unmarried aged about 30 years after "partaking too freely of Apothecary's wares"!
- John Walker Scott (c.1869-1924) Married Alice Gifford, who married Arthur Alfred Otterson after Scott died.
- William Edward Edwards Scott - Reference ZIM DN 11/214.
- William Edward Edwards Scott,
- born Cape Colony
- Parents John Scott and Elizabeth of Kokstad, S Griqualand
- Occupation - Native Commissioner Lomagundi District.
- Married to Margareta Ellen
- Date of death - 17th Sept. 1909 (No age was given)
- Place of death - Lomagundi - Naragwandu
- See the article - Kokstad's Origins which is very interesting in its own right, but which also mentions a 'John Scott' as a contemporary of Cecil John Rhodes in 1894.
- R. Sauer.
- S. Swanepoel.
- F. Webster.
Information about settlers from other sources
Jacob Adriaan Herbst (1831 - 1886) married to Jacoba Francina Taljaard (1841 - 1886) both died in Mangwe. They had 2 children. The eldest, Marthinus Johannes Hendrik (1861 - 1932) died at the house of John Gibson, Trek Nine, Inyati. He was married to Susarah Johanna Greeff. This Marthinus had a son, Jacob Adriaan (1879 - 1955). He was married to Aletta Maria Cloete. He died in Gurumba, Belingwe, Rhodesia.
- Katrina Herbst, 1894. (Mrs Groetwall). Came with her husband in the Edenberg Trek, but returned to the Orange Free State 5 years later, when he died. Information from Mrs Otterson, Chipinga; also p. 161 "Many Treks Made Rhodesia,” by S. P. Olivier.