Edinburghshire, Historic County of Scotland
This is the Umbrella project for Edinburghshire (now Midlothian)
Please do not link profiles to this project - its purpose is to inform!
Still to Come
- Edinburghshire (now Midlothian) - Genealogical Resources
- Edinburghshire (now Midlothian) Historical Page
HELP is always welcome!!
- Administrative centre Dalkeith
- Chapman County Code - ABD
- Gaelic Name Meadhan Lodainn
- Famous for:
- Landmarks and Places of Interest
- Succeeded by Midlothian
- County Flower -
Edinburghshire, (now Midlothian), county is a registration county and lieutenancy area of Scotland. bounded on the north by the Firth of Forth (along the shore of which it extends for about twelve miles), on the east by Haddingtonshire and small portions of the counties of Berwick and Roxburgh, on the south by the counties of Lanark, Peebles, and Selkirk, and on the west by Linlithgowshire.
Historic Parishes of Edinburghshire
(To see a full size of this map go to http://photos.geni.com/p13/5b/3b/4a/d3/5344483b33403876/parishes_mid_lothian_original.jpg where you can use the magnifier)
- Carrington (or Primrose)
- Colinton (or Hailes)
- East Calder -- see Kirknewton
- Fala & Soutra
- Glencorse (formerly Woodhouselee)
- Hailes -- see Colinton
- Kirknewton & East Calder
- Leith (North)
- Leith (South)
- North Leith -- see Leith (North)
- Primrose -- see Carrington
- Soutra -- see Fala & Soutra
- St. Cuthberts
- West Calder
- Woodhouselee-- see Glencross
(Links to more information on individual parishes can be found at http://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Midlothian_(Edinburghshire),_Scotland)
If you have Edinburghshire (now Midlothian) connections please join the project.
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!