Edward Riggs and his family were part of the Great Migration and were among the very early settlers in Roxbury, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. A number of other families, all from Nazeig, Essexwere County, England had settled there, and were collectively called the Nazeing Christians. Roxbury, which was a separate township on the outskirts of Boston, is now part of the city of Boston.
Edward has some interesting descendants.
- 9th great grandfather of former first lady Mamie Doud Eisenhower
- probably 7th great grandfather of 29th president Warren G. Harding
- 7th great grandfather of Bobby Riggs, 3 times world champion tennis player
- 2nd great grandfather of American Businessman and banker George Washington Riggs, "The President's Banker."
- Edward's granddaughter, Mary Riggs, married Thomas Cushman, great grandson of Mayflower passengers John Howland and Elizabeth (Tilley) Howland.
The mysteries with Edward's family begin with who he married. Some say he married Mary Munn first, and secondly Mary Browne, which is what I have believed for a long time. Others believe Mary Munn was his only wife, while others believe his wife's name was Mary Munn Browne. And then, there's Mary, Edward's granddaughter who married Thomas Cushman. Some say she was Mary Riggs Cutter, that her mother was a Riggs.
Clearly, there's much to be learned about this coloniel family, and I need all the help I can get!
Profiles to include in this project: Edward III of Roxbury, his direct ancestors, siblings, nieces, nephews, wives, children, and any interesting or notable decendants.
For further reading about early Roxbury: http://books.google.com/books?id=pggXAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=early+Roxbury&source=bl&ots=NpqRJD0O-J&sig=KAn_dgg4SADin_sJyX8MsvKzPjg&hl=en&ei=m9U0TcybI4HogQft_ZCtCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CC8Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=Johnson&f=false
- http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~riggs/USAEdw3.htm is a Riggs family genealogy site which has the best information, I believe, for the family.