People Connected to Essex
People connected to Essex can be placed in the following groups.
Historical and Political people
- accommodated by the project Historic Essex Link to follow which covers the History of Essex and historical/political people. Some of these are also listed in the Famous people category.
Families with their roots in Essex.
Please add the earliest head of the family to the list of Essex Families on Geni below and link their profiles to the project. These should be male! Adding anyone with a Essex birthplace to the project would cause the project to be a little cluttered, so please restrict this to the earliest head of family!
Famous or Notable People
Those people of note with connections to the county are listed below. Some of these connections are a little tenuous - counties like to lay claim to people of renown! Please visit Essex - Famous People and add them to the listing there.
People from Essex who went to the "New world" and were early progenitors in those countries. Where the earliest ancestor is known please add them to the list of "Essex families on Geni" below if that was their roots, or to the appropriate county project.
Where the earliest known ancestor is the emigrant add them to the list below. In some cases if there is a project that covers them in detail please link the project - there is no point in duplicating the list.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles. Non-bold links take you to other biographical web pages.
Essex Genealogical Resources
Essex Families on Geni
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
- Capell (or Capel) family descends from Sir Arthur Capell of Raines Hall in Essex
- Nicholas Drake (ca 1252-1302) Great Waltham
- John Rogers (ca. 1540 - 1603)
- Henry Sherman (ca. 1512 - 1590) Dedham
Emigrants from Essex
Please add the names of people from Essex who settled in the "New World"
- George Beake (1855 Plaistow - 1936 Massachussuetts)
- John Bland alias Smith (ca 1595 - 1668) of Colchester
- Rev. Nathaniel Rogers (1598 - 1655)