There are 16 names shown on the monument. Please do not add any others right now!
Golgotha burial ground
Cemetery notes and/or description: Found on Rt. 110 (Macy St.),in Amesbury Massachusetts about a half a mile East. It is the first burial ground in Amesbury but there are no markers.
Memorial to the First Settlers of Amesbury 1654 in Golgotha burial ground
It is possible that some of those mentioned here are not buried here
- Richard Currier
- Thomas Barnard
- Orlando Bagley
- Anthony Colby
- Thomas Macy
- John Bailey
- John Hoyt
- John Colby
- Philip Challis
- Willaim Barnes
- George Martin
- William Huntington
- Valentine Rowell
- Henry Blaisdell
- William Sargent
- Edward Cottle
- Jarret Haddon
- John Weed
and their first burying ground Golgotha Amesbury Improvement Association 1903
This cemetery is referred to as AME.800 Golgotha Burial Ground in the "MACRIS survey of Massachusetts Cemeteries".
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amesbury was settled in 1655 as a part of Salisbury, but was separated from Salisbury in 1666 and incorporated as the town of Amesbury in 1668.
Originally the boundary between Amesbury and Salisbury was the Powwow River. In 1876 Merrimac was created out of West Amesbury. In 1886 West Salisbury was annexed to Amesbury so the mill area on the Powwow River was unified. See the maps linked below.
Beginning as a modest farming community, it developed an aggressive maritime and industrial economy. The 90-foot (27 m) drop in the falls of the Powwow River provided water power for sawmills and gristmills. Shipbuilding, shipping and fishing were also important. The ferry across the Merrimack River to Newburyport was a lively business until the construction of bridges to Deer Island. Newton, New Hampshire would be set off from Amesbury in 1741, when the border between the two colonies was adjusted.
In the 19th century, textile mills were built at the falls, as was a mechanized nail-making factory, believed to be the nation's first. The Merrimac Hat Company produced more hats than any of its competitors. Beginning in 1853, Amesbury became famous for building carriages, a trade which evolved into the manufacture of automobile bodies. The industry, however, would end with the Great Depression. Amesbury also produced Hoyt's Buffalo Brand Peanut Butter Kisses. In 1876, the town of Merrimac was set off from Amesbury. In 1996, the town changed its status to a city, and adopted the mayor and municipal council form of government, although it retained the title "Town of Amesbury."
The community has an impressive collection of early architecture, particularly in the Federal and Victorian styles. Following a recent restoration of the historic downtown, many new restaurants opened. The "Doughboy", a memorial sculpture by Leonard Craske, stands on the front lawn of the Amesbury Middle School. It was dedicated November 11, 1929. Craske is best known as sculptor for the "Fishermens' Memorial" in Gloucester. There is here a monument erected to Josiah Bartlett, who was born in Amesbury.