The purpose of this project is to compile and expand the profiles of passengers on the Hopewell in May-June 1635. The majority of Hopewell passengers went on to settle in Dorchester, Hingham, and Salem, Massachusetts.
PLEASE NOTE: If someone is not listed below as one of the passengers, they should not be added to the project. You may want to check your records to see if they came on a different voyage of the Hopwell. This project focuses exclusively on the May-June 1635 voyage. Thank you!
- Master: John Driver
- English Port: Weymouth, Dorsetshire
- Departure: May 6, 1635
- Arrival Port: Massachusetts Bay
The ship’s passenger list names 18 men, but does not list the names of their wives, children or servants.
The National Genealogical Society listed the family members in its Vol. 71, saying after each name "and family." Burton Spear, in Vol. 20 of his Search for the Passengers of the Mary and John (Clearing House, Toledo, OH), lists them with wives and children known to be alive in 1635. His collected works give additional data on many of these people.
The official ship log is:
- John Crowe of Eilpeck with his family
- David Prise of Ilminster and family
- William Black and family (prob. William Blake)
- Edmund Marshall and family
- Jon Stronge and family
- Edward Clap and family
- Jon. Rockwell and family
- John Duabant and family
- Thomas Demick, wife and family
- Jon Whettcomb and family (Jon. Whitcomb)
- _____Gachill, wife and family
- Thomas Bushrod and others
- Daniel Stolack and family
- William Lane, his wife and family
- Matew Hearne and friends
- William Malton, wife and family (William Walton)
- Thomas Richards, wife and family.
- Jon Gilbert and family
The full list of likely passengers, according to Spear, were:
- John Crowe, probably with wife and children (names not known).
- William Blake (perhaps from Pitminster, Somerset), age, 40. Family members: Agnes Thorne, wife, 40; John Blake, 17(?), son; Ann Blake, 16, daughter; William Jr., 14, James, 11, and another son, Edward.
- Edmund Marshall, 37, who settled at Salem. Family members: wife, Millicent, 37, and Edmund Marshall, probably their son.
- John Strong of Chard, Somerset and/or Chardstock, Devon, age 26, who settled at Hingham, MA. Family members: Margery Deane, wife; John Jr., 2, and an infant; also John’s sister, Eleanor, 22.
- Edward Clapp, 30, of Salcombe Regis, Devon, who settled at Dorchester, MA. Family members: Prudence Clapp, 29, wife (and perhaps his first cousin), and their daughter, Elizabeth, 1.
- John Rockwell, 36, of Fitzhead, Somerset, who settled at Dorchester, MA. Family members: Wilmot Cade, 37, wife; sons Nathaniel, 14,Thomas, 12, and Symon, 4; daughters Mary, 11, and Anna, 3.
- John Durant; data for his family not known.
- Thomas Dimmock/Demick, probably from Somerset, who settled at Dorchester, MA. Family members: wife, Ann (Hammond?), son John and daughter Susanna.
- John Gachill/Gatchell/Getchell, probably from Somerset; settled at Salem, MA. Family members: Wilbra Wayborough/Wilborough, wife, possibly an infant child, and John’s brother Samuel.
- Daniel Stolack; identification of family members not known.
- William Lane of Beaminster, Dorset, who settled at Hingham, MA. Family members: Agnes Farnsworth, wife; Avis (Lane) Lincoln, 28, daughter, and her husband, Thomas Lincoln; Andrew Lane, 24, son, and daughters Mary and Elizabeth Lane.
- John Gilbert, 54, of Combe St. Nicholas, Somerset, who settled at Dorchester, MA . Family members: wife, Winifred; sons Thomas, 23, John, 20, Giles, 8, and Joseph, 6; daughters Elizabeth and Mary Gilbert; step-daughter, Dorothy Combe, 15, and possibly another step-daughter, Joan Combe.
- Matthew Hearn (perhaps not married).
- William Malton (family members not identified).
- Thomas Richards of Pitminster, Somerset, who settled at Dorchester, MA. Family members: Wealthean Loring, wife; sons Thomas Jr., 16, John, 10, and James, 2; daughters Anne, 8, Alice, 6, and Hannah, 4.
- Thomas Bushrod, who may have come from Dorchester, England; family members not known.
- Hugh Norman of Pitminster, Somerset, believed to be a cousin of Thomas Richards.
Additional possible passengers can be found at http://strongfamilyofamerica.org/strong/hopelist.html.