Note: While using ANY genealogical website or program...please be informed that ANY possible family connections are NOT valid until they can be verified with documentation.
Conflicts in English lineage
I am beginning to wonder if we will ever get the Hardesty Hardisty Hardistie's of England straighten out
Arthur Hardisty Two Wives and ppears to have the same man listed with and without parents marrying sisters! and basically the same set of children - but have pick and chosen data to use. This is a great example of what has been done over the years besides using the christening dates as birth dates and the burial dates as death dates. this is why no headway can be made on these families
This person has 2 trees listed on Ancestry.com Tree #1 has 2 wives listed for Arthur
hardesty _ Weaver Family Trees] Public Member Tree 1 source photos
Name: John I Hardisty Birth: 1555 - Yorkshire, England Death: 16/12/1616 (16 Dec 1616) - Fewston, Yorkshire, England Spouse: Dorothy Sampson
Tree #2 Hardesty _ Weaver Family Trees Public Member Tree 1 source photos Name: John Hardistie Birth: 1554 - Yorkshire, England Death: 1616 - Fewston, Yorkshire Parents: Thomas II Hardistie, Elizabeth Snowdon Spouse: Mrs Dorothy Hardistie
This is in Tree#1 - I nave not looked into tree #2
Version #2 Tree #1
- Arthur Hardesty
- Birth 1605 in Yorkshire, England
- Death 4 Sep 1658 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England
- No Parents listed
- Birth 1 Jun 1609 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England
- Death Sep 1658 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England
- daughter of John II Hardisty & Mary PALMES
- Mary Hardesty Birth 6 Oct 1631 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England Death 1632 in England
- Henry Hardisty Birth 1632
- John Hardesty Birth 9 Aug 1639 in Yorkshire, England Death 4 May 1656 in England
- Thomas Hardesty Birth 4 Sep 1641 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England Death 1690 in Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, United States
- Sarah Hardesty Birth 14 Sep 1645 in Yorkshire, England Death in England
- Francis Hardesty Birth 10 Mar 1671 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England Death 23 Apr 1734 in Anne Arundel, Maryland, United States
Version #2 Tree #1
- Arthur H HARDISTY
- Birth 15 Jul 1605 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England
- Death 4 Sep 1658 in Saltergate Hill Killinghall, England
- son of William HARDISTY & Ann
Dorothy Fewston HARDISTY Birth 1 Jun 1606 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England Death Sep 1658 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, , England daughter of John II Hardisty & Mary PALMES
- Mary Hardesty Birth 6 Oct 1631 in Yorkshire, England Death 1632 in , , , England
- Anne Hardesty Birth 3 Oct 1633 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, , England Death 1633 in England UK married John Wright
- William Hardesty Birth 6 Mar 1635 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England Death 4 May 1656 in Borthwick Institute Historical Research, Yorkshire, England
- John Hardesty Birth 9 Aug 1639 in Yorkshire, England Death 4 May 1656 in , , , England
- Thomas Arthur HARDISTY Birth 4 Sep 1641 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England Death 1690 in Patapsco, Baltimore, Maryland, USA married Mary FAVELL Birth 29 Jun 1633 in Burnsall, Yorkshire, , England Death 1746 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England
- Sarah Hardesty Birth 14 Sep 1645 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England Death in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England married John II Scaife biirth 5 Jan 1650 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England Death 14 Feb 1698 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England
The GEDCOM pull down of 31 March 2014 - says that there are 9032 profiles with 3210 marriages on Geni from the anchor profile and the PAF manuscript count is 21,548 and 8266 marriages - this includes the names of the spousal parents if known.
This has been merged with my database that was created from my 1976 manuscript and created problems -
- the incomplete merges made for double, triple, quadruple profiles of certain descendants.
- for some reason if a person is listed as being divorced a GENI GEDCOM usurps one of the parents out of the family - breaking up the family connections and listing the divorced spouse as "known" ie say John Doe and Jane Doe is divorced; John Doe would be listed with the children with the mother listed as 'unknown' and Jane Doe would be listed with an 'Unknown' spouse.
As of 27 March 2015 I have this data base hopefully down to one profile of each person, the broken families back together with a count of 24026 profiles and many of these are yet to be entered into GENI and new ones are being added as I verify and documented data.
History of the Project
This actually started with very meager information from Minnie Cleo (Merritt) White who gave me my double lineage outline off of Thomas through 2 of his children Aquilla Hardesty and Margaret Hardesty; and told me I could fill in the blanks - the other child a daughter Elizabeth married Elijah Ashcraft and their son married into the Emery's of which I re-done, updated and had printed in 1982.
This started out as a 25-50 page booklet back in 1976 - it all was done by hand on 8 1/2 by 11 paper and hand typing on a portable Smith-Corona manual typewriter; I bought my first electric one and then my second electric one from Everton's I also bought the pedigree charts and group sheets to fill in and send out to collect data with. The numbering was done by hand - to add to the manuscript as it was done on typing paper wherever an entry was needed to by made the page was split a line drawn as to where typing was to begin and then the portion already typed taped to the new sheet of paper; the numbering was done by hand & mentally.
Sometime after October 1986 it was transferred into 'Wordstar' on 5 1/4 disk via a 'Kaypro PC' that was only a 2 floppy drive, no internet and no hard drive - that improved data entry immensely and a copy could be printed out for correcting and for re-numbering, and to send out to Kinko's. The manuscript would be printed in a series of 15 copies - mostly given away to those who contributed and a few paid for a copy. Cost was just the Xeroxing fee.
Some time after I got my first 'techy computer' in 1997 with a hard drive, modem (which I could not use for serveral years) it was then converted into 'Word'; the count of pages of the 'Word' files is 195 pages with 3166+ (many being un-numbered) and then finally data based into PAF (Personal Ancestral File) about 2004 and finally converted to RootsMagic (2015).
A a new numbering system was needed and it was way to share since Xeroxing it was no longer an option to be done because of expense. and there was a need for an index.
Many descendants just gave names - no dates - and no documentation - in which Clarice Hord (a descendant) and her husband Claude M. Lynch contributed to heavily and rounded up many of the Greene county Indiana Hardesty's who contributed their family lines. They though every Hardesty descendant male and female should be included and done their utmost to accomplish this mission.
I purchased the Bloomfield news in order to keep up to date the all my dad & Mom's lines as they were the first of the direct line to leave Greene county sometime after 1948 Thus I had the obituaries and the court news of the marriages & divorces thus so I could connect and fill in missing family data with or without the help of descendants.
Thus this has been primarily all my work and research over the last 30 years. gathering documenting and re-documenting 'dead" internet links. And in essence I have been the CURATOR of the Hardesty/Hardisty genealogy since 1976 sharing it with others along the way. yes there have been mistakes through the years such as trusting what a person called a "clean GEDCOM"
Scope of Project
is To build a single, validated and documented shared family tree the goals being:
- 1) to create on Geni an accurate representation of the genealogical information
- 2) to clean up duplicates and ensure quality of the involved profiles
- 3) to sort out the lines and connect the different lines
- 4) To correct the spelling back to the original for the affected branches who used the HARDISTY spelling.
- 5) To correct the English lines from the birth date back to the christening date - few birth dates were stated all were christening dates and descendants changed them into being actual birth dates.
- 6) RULE - All profiles marked PUBLIC - with me as the controling manager ARE NOT TO BE CHANGED TO PRIVATE under any circumstances. UNLESS YOU ARE THE Living profile person and ASK for control of your profile - I have choosen to leave any profile I feel to be LIVIING blank of all data - birth, marriage etc. = only those of DECEASED status will contain data IF known
FAMILY TREES on GENI
1 - William Ray Overman - Has been merged with 'Big Tree'
2- - Christopher Paul Hardisty - merged with 'Big Tree'
3 - Valerie Phillips Roberts - merged with 'Big Tree'
This work since 1975 has been shared in 'updated booklets" made at kinkos which was in Bloomington, Indiana - a new set of 15 copies were made - and given to the MAJOR researchers of the time the two main promoters was Clarice Hord Lynch a descendant and he husband claude matthews Lynch - and one was put into the library and Bloomfield Indiana. others paid a minimal cost for the Xeroxing and postage.
Two primary sites on the internet - received Gedcoms of this data :
- Alan Hardisty - Hardisty Family Tree and he also has his private site of the same material and more at Hardesty Tree ,(PhpGedView) and Hardisty Family Tree Website
- John Dean (Jack) Hardesty, William Hardesty descendants, his site seems to be defunct as of now it was at http: // websites.quincy.edu/ ~hardesty.
Very early researches now deceased were:
- Minnie Cleo (Merritt) White - she handed me my two hardesty lines in outline form and said i "could fill in the blanks" she would help when she got fellign better - she died of cancer 4 Jun 1979 and never wasl able to help but she done much reasearch that others shared hardisty/edington and her daughter [http://www.geni.com/people/Wilma-Sophronia-Rollins/6000000010134382721] Wilma Sophronia Rollins (White)
- Audrey (wade) Hudson d. 17 Nov. 1981 Ashcraft hardesty
- Flora Irene "Irene' (Hardisty) Fithen d. 9 Oct. 2008
- June Alah (Fuller) Smith - Emery, Ashcraft hardesty
- charles Leonard Edington d. 24 Mar 1999 Hardesty/emery/edington my mothers double cousin from both the Edington's & Emery's who done all the leg work in Greene county Indiana
There was another who contributed the ashcraft line from out west - Martha; besides the book i have on the Ashcraft's.
The Hardisty has a long anglo-saxon heritage.
the name comes from when a family lived in the village of Hardisty hill located in th parish of Fewston , in the county of Yorkshire. in its old English form this place-name was originally Hardolfsty with it origin in the name Hardhulf.
The Hardesty name is one of that class of surnames which are derived from place names. In this case, from a locality in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England. The name is, as shown above, Heardwulfstig, which being translated into modern English from the Anglo-Saxon, means Hardwolf's Path. Who was Hardwolf?? He was, apparently, a Saxon landowner of pre-Norman times in Fewston Parish, Yorkshire. Hardwolf was in time spelled Hardulf or Hardolf. The Poll Tax records for the West Riding of Yorkshire in the year 1379 show a Stephanus and a Johannes de Hardolfsty, both from the village of Timble Great, or Great Timble as it is known today. From Fewston, Hardestys spread into surrounding parishes, with the parish of Hampsthwaite being one of the major sources of the colonial Hardestys. The family has spread from this small parish to around the world
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle AGes, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of french, Latin, and other European languages,. Manuy variations of the name Hardisty have been found, including' hardisty, hardesty, Hardistry, Hardystry, Hardestye, Hardistye, Hardestey, hardestie, Hardest,Hardester and others.
Recorded as Hardolfsty in 14th Century documents relating to that county, the first element is the Old English personal name Hardolf, a compound of 'hard', meaning 'hardy', 'brave', or 'strong', plus 'wulf', a wolf, ultimately from the Old Norse 'ulf', wolf, plus the Old English 'stig', sty. A sty was a pen, enclosure or cabin generally for a cattle, poultry, or swine, hence, 'hardolf's sty'
More on the history here (also this included) and a possible family crest.
the First Known ancestor in England and his descendants
1. [http://www.geni.com/people/William-Hardestie/340120253820012897 William Hardisty] spelling of Hardistie is on some of the christening records of the children also he has been listed as "William W. S. Hardisty" by some descendants-8486 was born about 1575/1577 probably in Hampswaite, York, England He died 4 Mar 1660/1661 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire.
William married (MRIN:7365) Ann [-?-]-8487 about 1602 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England. Ann was born 1583 in probably in Hampswaite, York, England .
NOTE the children's names has to be updated to reflect the spellings as found in the BMD's of England
They had the following children:
- 2 F i. Alice Hardesty-8491 was born 2 Sep 1604 in Hampswaite, York, England and was christened 2 Sep 1604 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England. She died Apr 1674.
- 3 M ii. Arthur Hardisty-8480 was born 1605 in Hampswaite, York, England. He died 4 Sep 1658 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire. Arthur married (MRIN:7363) Dorothie / Dorothy /[-?-] / Hardisty Hardestie-8481, daughter of John /Hardisty Hardestie-19348 (MRIN:7366), about 1630 in Hampswaithe, Yorkshire, England. Dorothie was born 1 Jun 1606 in <Hampswaite, York, England>. She died Sep 1658 and was buried 14 Sep 1658 in Hampswaite, York, England.
- 4 F iii. Madelon Hardesty-8492 was born 30 Mar 1606 in Hampswaite, York, England and was christened 30 Mar 1606 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England. She died Oct 1641 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire.
- 5 F iv. Elinor Hardesty-8493 was born 8 Oct 1609 in Hampswaite, York, England and was christened 8 Oct 1609 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England.
- 6 M v. Robert Hardisty-18965 was born about 1602 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England.
- 7 vi. Jenit Hardisty-18970 was born 16 Jul 1615 in Hampswaite, York, England and was christened 16 Jul 1615 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England.
- 8 F vii. Mary Hardesty-8494 was born 16 May 1613 in Hampswaite, York, England and was christened 16 May 1613 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England.
- 9 M viii. William Hardesty-8489 was born about 1604 in Hampswaite, York, England. William married (MRIN:7372) Alice Hardisty-8877 on 3 Nov 1629 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England
Some now say that Stephen Hardisty married Ann [-?-] is the first known member of the family in England.
The progenitor of the American line in Anne Arunndel county Maryland
1. Francis Hardesty(Hardistsy)-8460 was born 10 Mar 1670/1671 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire and was christened 10 Mar 1671 in Hampswaite, York, England. He died 15 Feb 1733 in Anne Arundel, Maryland and was buried in , Anne Arundel, Maryland.
Francis married (1-MRIN:7358) Ruth /[-?-] Morley Beard-8467 on 3 Jan 1702/1703 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. Ruth was born 1682 in <All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland>. She died UNKNOWN in , Anne Arundel, Maryland and was buried in Hardesty Family Cemetery, Friendship, Anne Arundel, Maryland.
In America the surname became spelled as "HARDESTY" there were few descendants who reverted back to the "Hardisty" spelling. His son John Hardisty married Elizabeth Boarman As written in on one of the information sheets given to me back when I started he and his descendants were one of the first to revert to the old English spelling of the name as HARDISTY and as far as I can see that most of his branch has been true to carrying it out in America
They had the following children:
- 2 M i. Francis Hardesty-8468 was born 27 Feb 1707 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 1742. Francis married (MRIN:7362) Alice Brown-8839, daughter of Mark Brown-21175 and Susanna Iiams-21291 (MRIN:7554). Alice was born 2 Dec 1718 in Prince George's, Maryland. She died 1811 in Prince George's, Maryland.
Francis also married (2-MRIN:7321) Dorcas Linthicum-8461, daughter of Thomas Linthicum-21176 and Deborah Wayman-21254 (MRIN:7359), on 4 Feb 1718/1719 in Anne Arundel Co, Maryland. Dorcas was born 15 Aug 1700 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland.
They had the following children:
- 3 F ii. Deborah Hardesty-8462 was born 5 Dec 1720 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland.
- 4 M iii. Thomas Hardesty-8463 was born 6 Mar 1721 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland.
- 5 M iv. Peter Hardesty-8464 was born 19 Sep 1723 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 1766.
- 6 M v. Robert Hardesty-8413 was born 23 Oct 1730 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland and was christened 23 Oct 1730 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 16 May 1790 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. Robert married (MRIN:7191) Elizabeth [-?-]-6884 about 1756. Elizabeth was born 1735 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>. She died about 16 May 1790.
- 7 M vi. John Hardisty-8465 was born 29 Jan 1727 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 1790 in Washington County, Pa. John married (MRIN:7360) Elizabeth Boarman-8829. Elizabeth was born about 1728.
- 8 M vii. Richard Hardesty-8466 was born about 1733 in South River Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 1823.
- 9 F viii. [-?-] Hardesty-8501.
from his son Robert Hardesty three brothers went to Coshocton county Ohio:
- 1) John Hardesty married Henrietta Chaney (his descendants basically stayed in Coshocton county Ohio),
- 2) Thomas Hardesty married Nancy Ann Chaney (he and his descendants went to Greene county Indiana) and
- 3) Edmund Hardesty married Ruth Faith Cheney and Elizabeth [-?-] (he went on to Ogle county Illinois)
Thomas Hardesty of Greene county indiana
1. Thomas Hardesty-8412 was born 24 May 1747/1748 in Near Baltimore, Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 4 Apr 1859 in Plummer Creek, Greene, Indiana and was buried Apr 1859 in Walnut Grove Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene County, Indiana.
Thomas married (MRIN:4256) Nancy Ann Chaney-281, daughter of Samuel Cheney-7902 and Margaret-7796 (MRIN:4312), on 3 Jan 1797 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. Nancy was born BET. 1746 - 1747 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>. She died 27 Aug 1840 in Coshocton, Ohio.
They had the following children:
- 2 F i. Margaret Alice Hardesty-365 was born 20 Sep 1800 in Anne Arundel, Maryland and was christened 10 Nov 1801 in All Hallow's Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. She died 26 Aug 1890 in Dresden, Greene, Indiana and was buried in Ashcraft Chapel Cemetery, Jackson Twp., Greene, Indiana. Margaret married (1-MRIN:4384) Robert Edington-364, son of Jonathan Edington-7659 (MRIN:301), on 13 Apr 1815 in Coshocton County, Oh. Robert was born 1796 in Hunterdon, Pennsylvania. He died 5 Aug 1844 in Coshocton, Ohio. Margaret also married (2-MRIN:4385) Elijah Ashcraft-471, son of Daniel Freeman Ashcraft-333 and Elizabeth Shuman-7942 (MRIN:4484), on 3 Jan 1861 in , Greene, Indiana. Elijah was born 27 Aug 1800 in Georges Twp., Fayette, Pennsylvania. He died 10 Sep 1867 in Koleen, Greene, Indiana and was buried Sep 1867 in Walnut Grove (Mood) Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana. After the death of her sister.
- 3 M ii. Aquilla Hardesty-202 was born 21 Feb 1799 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 19 Mar 1879 in , Greene, Indiana and was buried Mar 1879 in Walnut Grove (Mood) Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana. Aquilla married (1-MRIN:4123) Catherine Meek-203 on 3 Oct 1816 in , Muskingham, Ohio. Catherine was born 1799 in Maryland or Ohio. She died 21 Aug 1837 in Coshocton, Ohio/, Licking, Ohio and was buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, Coshocton, Ohio/Licking, Ohio. Aquilla also married (2-MRIN:4257) Elizabeth Murphy-211 on 19 Dec 1837 in Coshocton, Ohio. Elizabeth was born 6 May 1802 in Virginia. She died 12 Feb 1865 in , Greene, Indiana and was buried Feb 1865 in Walnut Grove (Mood) Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana. Aquilla also married (3-MRIN:4258) Martha Kirkpatrick-217 on 15 Nov 1865 in , Muskingham, Ohio. Martha was born 1844 in <, , Muskingham, Ohio>. Aquilla also married (4-MRIN:4259) Mary Jane Knott-218 on 3 Jun 1868 in , Greene, Indiana. Mary was born 1847 in <, , Greene, Indiana>. She died 1879 and was buried in Walnut Grove (Mood) Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana.
- 4 F iii. Elizabeth Hardesty-470 was born 19 Jul 1802 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. She died 11 Dec 1859 in Koleen, Greene, Indiana and was buried in Walnut Grove (Mood) Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana. Elizabeth married (MRIN:4483) Elijah Ashcraft-471, son of Daniel Freeman Ashcraft-333 and Elizabeth Shuman-7942 (MRIN:4484), on 24 Nov 1821 in Coshocton, Ohio. Elijah was born 27 Aug 1800 in Georges Twp., Fayette, Pennsylvania. He died 10 Sep 1867 in Koleen, Greene, Indiana and was buried Sep 1867 in Walnut Grove (Mood) Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana. After her death he married Elizabeth's sister Margaret (Hardesty) Edington who was widowed
UNCONNECTED LONE PROFILES
These are profiles broken off and left on GENI - because of bad merges or incorrect information - for now I have not deleted them.
Would appreciate other 'lone' profile's be added to if found. These possible can be recycled by reconnecting to the 'Big Tree' with a person of the same name
Margaret Catherine Hardesty married Jacob Donaker
William Hardesty married Louisa Knouf
John Thomas Hardesty & Elizabeth Kline
John Hardisty & Ann Jackson
The new Start of the Hardesty Line
- Steven Hardistie b. 1350 Fewston Yorkshire, England