Note: While using ANY genealogical website or program...please be informed that ANY possible family connections are NOT valid until they can be verified with documentation.
The GEDCOM pull down of 31 March 2014 - says that there are 9032 profiles with 3210 marriages on Geni from the anchor profile and the PAF manuscript count is 21,548 and 8266 marriages - this includes the names of the spousal parents if known.
History of the Project
This actually started with very meager information from Minnie Cleo (Merritt) White who gave me my double lineage outline off of Thomas through 2 of his children Aquilla Hardesty and Margaret Hardesty; and told me I could fill in the blanks - the other child a daughter Elizabeth married Elijah Ashcraft and their son married into the Emery's of which I re-done, updated and had printed in 1982.
This started out as a 25-50 page booklet back in 1976 - it all was done by hand - hand typing on a portable Smith-Corona manual typewriter; I bought my first electric one and then my second electric one from Everton's I also bought the pedigree charts and group sheets to fill in and send out to collect data with. The numbering was done by hand - to add to the manuscript as it was done on typing paper wherever an entry was needed to by made the page was split a line drawn as to where typing was to begin and then the portion already typed taped to the new sheet of paper; the numbering was done by hand & mentally.
Sometime after October 1986 it was transferred to 5 1/4 disk via a 'Kaypro PC' that was only a 2 floppy drive, no internet and no hard drive - that improved data entry immensely and a copy could be printed out for correcting and for re-numbering, and to send out to Kinko's. some after I got my first 'techy computer' in 1997 with a hard drive, modem (which I could not use for serveral years) I entered the manuscript into the PAF memory serves it was closer to 2004 - as a new numbering system was needed and a way to share since Xeroxing it was no longer an option to be done because of expense.
As over the years grew to over 600 pages before I put it into paf - - many descendants just gave names - no dates - and no documentation - I purchased the Bloomfield news in order to keep up to date the all my dad & Mom's lines as they were the first of the direct line to leave Greene county sometime after 1948 Thus I had the obituaries and the court news of the marriages & divorces thus so I could connect and fill in missing family data with or without the help of descendants.
Thus this has been primarily all my work and research over the last 30 years. gathering documenting and re-documenting 'dead" internet links. And in essence I have been the CURATOR of the Hardesty/Hardisty genealogy since 1978 sharing it with others along the way.
Scope of Project is To build a single, validated and documented shared family tree the goals being:
- 1) to create on Geni an accurate representation of the genealogical information
- 2) to clean up duplicates and ensure quality of the involved profiles
- 3) to sort out the lines and connect the different lines
- 4) To correct the spelling back to the original for the affected branches who used the HARDISTY spelling.
- 5) To correct the English lines from the birth date back to the christening date - few birth dates were stated all were christening dates and descendants changed them into being actual birth dates.
- 6) RULE - All profiles marked PUBLIC - with me as the controling manager ARE NOT TO BE CHANGED TO PRIVATE under any circumstances. UNLESS YOU ARE THE Living profile person and ASK for control of your profile - I have choosen to leave any profile I feel to be LIVIING blank of all data - birth, marriage etc. = only those of DECEASED status will contain data IF known
FAMILY TREES on GENI
1 - William Ray Overman - he is a direct descendant of Thomas Hardesty of greene county Indiana @http://www.geni.com/people/William-Overman/308520283850001469?through=339603652570013635
2- - Christopher Paul Hardisty - he has a myrid of Greene county Indiana porfiles in his tree - he ialso has a myrid of profiles Edmund Hardesty who is brother to Thomas Hardesty of greene county Indiana @http://www.geni.com/people/Christopher-Hardisty/5586845991670085640
his connection is not direct to these peopl but off of Francis Hardesty & Dorcas Linthicum their son John Hardisty & Elizabeth Boarman.
3 - Valerie Phillips Roberts she is a direct descendant chambers/ overman Hardesty @http://www.geni.com/people/Valarie-Roberts/6000000010800599055
4 - direct new GENI member of Thomas Hardesty of Greene county are: Mirnada layne Hubbard- Figg, Larry Dean Sturgeon and Phil Martin and possibly many more now active on GENI.
This work since 1975 has been shared in 'updated booklets" made at kinkos which was in Bloomington, Indiana - a new set of 15 copies were made - and given to the MAJOR researchers of the time the two main promoters was Clarice Hord Lynch a descendant and he husband claude matthews Lynch - and one was put into the library and Bloomfield Indiana. others paid a minimal cost for the Xeroooxin and postage.
Two primary sites on the internet - received Gedcoms of this data :
- Alan Hardisty - Hardisty Family Tree alan,firstname.lastname@example.org, Alan Hardisty - Hardisty Family Tree, http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=REG&db=ahardist&id=I00624.
- John Dean (Jack) Hardesty, William Hardesty descendants, http://websites.quincy.edu/~hardesty.
Very early researches now deceased were:
- Minnie cleo (Merritt) White - she handed me my two hardesty lines in outline form and said i "could fill in the blanks" she would help when she got fellign better - she died of cancer 4 Jun 1979 and never wasl able to help but she done much reasearch that others shared hardisty/edington
- Audrey (wade) Hudson d. 17 Nov. 1981 Ashcraft hardesty
- Flora Irene "Irene' (Hardesty) Fithen d. 9 Oct. 2008
- June Alah (Fuller) Smith - Emery, Ashcraft hardesty
- charles Leonard Edington d. 24 Mar 1999 Hardesty/emery/edington my mothers cousin who done all the leg work in Greene county Indiana
There was another who contributed the ashcraft line from out west - Martha; besides the book i have on the Ashcrafts. -------------------------- The Hardisty has a long anglo-saxon heritage.
the name comes from when a family lived in the village of Hardisty hill located in th parish of Fewston , in the county of Yorkshire. in its old English form this place-name was originally Hardolfsty with it origin in the name Hardhulf.
The Hardesty name is one of that class of surnames which are derived from place names. In this case, from a locality in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England. The name is, as shown above, Heardwulfstig, which being translated into modern English from the Anglo-Saxon, means Hardwolf's Path. Who was Hardwolf?? He was, apparently, a Saxon landowner of pre-Norman times in Fewston Parish, Yorkshire. Hardwolf was in time spelled Hardulf or Hardolf. The Poll Tax records for the West Riding of Yorkshire in the year 1379 show a Stephanus and a Johannes de Hardolfsty, both from the village of Timble Great, or Great Timble as it is known today. From Fewston, Hardestys spread into surrounding parishes, with the parish of Hampsthwaite being one of the major sources of the colonial Hardestys. The family has spread from this small parish to around the world
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle AGes, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of french, Latin, and other European languages,. Manuy variations of the name Hardisty have been found, including' hardisty, hardesty, Hardistry, Hardystry, Hardestye, Hardistye, Hardestey, hardestie, Hardest,Hardester and others.
Recorded as Hardolfsty in 14th Century documents relating to that county, the first element is the Old English personal name Hardolf, a compound of 'hard', meaning 'hardy', 'brave', or 'strong', plus 'wulf', a wolf, ultimately from the Old Norse 'ulf', wolf, plus the Old English 'stig', sty. A sty was a pen, enclosure or cabin generally for a cattle, poultry, or swine, hence, 'hardolf's sty'
More on the history here (also this included) and a possible family crest.
the First Known ancestor in England and his descendants
1. [http://www.geni.com/people/William-Hardestie/340120253820012897 William Hardisty] spelling of Hardistie is on some of the christening records of the children also he has been listed as "William W. S. Hardisty" by some descendants-8486 was born about 1575/1577 probably in Hampswaite, York, England He died 4 Mar 1660/1661 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire.
William married (MRIN:7365) Ann [-?-]-8487 about 1602 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England. Ann was born 1583 in probably in Hampswaite, York, England .
NOTE the children's names has to be updated to reflect the spellings as found in the BMD's of England
They had the following children:
- 2 F i. Alice Hardesty-8491 was born 2 Sep 1604 in Hampswaite, York, England and was christened 2 Sep 1604 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England. She died Apr 1674.
- 3 M ii. Arthur Hardisty-8480 was born 1605 in Hampswaite, York, England. He died 4 Sep 1658 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire. Arthur married (MRIN:7363) Dorothie / Dorothy /[-?-] / Hardisty Hardestie-8481, daughter of John /Hardisty Hardestie-19348 (MRIN:7366), about 1630 in Hampswaithe, Yorkshire, England. Dorothie was born 1 Jun 1606 in <Hampswaite, York, England>. She died Sep 1658 and was buried 14 Sep 1658 in Hampswaite, York, England.
- 4 F iii. Madelon Hardesty-8492 was born 30 Mar 1606 in Hampswaite, York, England and was christened 30 Mar 1606 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England. She died Oct 1641 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire.
- 5 F iv. Elinor Hardesty-8493 was born 8 Oct 1609 in Hampswaite, York, England and was christened 8 Oct 1609 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England.
- 6 M v. Robert Hardisty-18965 was born about 1602 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England.
- 7 vi. Jenit Hardisty-18970 was born 16 Jul 1615 in Hampswaite, York, England and was christened 16 Jul 1615 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England.
- 8 F vii. Mary Hardesty-8494 was born 16 May 1613 in Hampswaite, York, England and was christened 16 May 1613 in Hampswaite, Yorkshire, England.
- 9 M viii. William Hardesty-8489 was born about 1604 in Hampswaite, York, England. William married (MRIN:7372) Alice Hardisty-8877 on 3 Nov 1629 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England
Some now say that Stephen Hardisty married Ann [-?-] is the first known member of the family in England.
The progenitor of the American line in Anne Arunndel county Maryland
1. Francis Hardesty(Hardistsy)-8460 was born 10 Mar 1670/1671 in Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire and was christened 10 Mar 1671 in Hampswaite, York, England. He died 15 Feb 1733 in Anne Arundel, Maryland and was buried in , Anne Arundel, Maryland.
Francis married (1-MRIN:7358) Ruth /[-?-] Morley Beard-8467 on 3 Jan 1702/1703 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. Ruth was born 1682 in <All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland>. She died UNKNOWN in , Anne Arundel, Maryland and was buried in Hardesty Family Cemetery, Friendship, Anne Arundel, Maryland.
In America the surname became spelled as "HARDESTY" there were few descendants who reverted back to the "Hardisty" spelling. His son John Hardisty married Elizabeth Boarman As written in on one of the information sheets given to me back when I started he and his descendants were one of the first to revert to the old English spelling of the name as HARDISTY and as far as I can see that most of his branch has been true to carrying it out in America
They had the following children:
- 2 M i. Francis Hardesty-8468 was born 27 Feb 1707 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 1742. Francis married (MRIN:7362) Alice Brown-8839, daughter of Mark Brown-21175 and Susanna Iiams-21291 (MRIN:7554). Alice was born 2 Dec 1718 in Prince George's, Maryland. She died 1811 in Prince George's, Maryland.
Francis also married (2-MRIN:7321) Dorcas Linthicum-8461, daughter of Thomas Linthicum-21176 and Deborah Wayman-21254 (MRIN:7359), on 4 Feb 1718/1719 in Anne Arundel Co, Maryland. Dorcas was born 15 Aug 1700 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland.
They had the following children:
- 3 F ii. Deborah Hardesty-8462 was born 5 Dec 1720 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland.
- 4 M iii. Thomas Hardesty-8463 was born 6 Mar 1721 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland.
- 5 M iv. Peter Hardesty-8464 was born 19 Sep 1723 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 1766.
- 6 M v. Robert Hardesty-8413 was born 23 Oct 1730 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland and was christened 23 Oct 1730 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 16 May 1790 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. Robert married (MRIN:7191) Elizabeth [-?-]-6884 about 1756. Elizabeth was born 1735 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>. She died about 16 May 1790.
- 7 M vi. John Hardisty-8465 was born 29 Jan 1727 in All Hallows, Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 1790 in Washington County, Pa. John married (MRIN:7360) Elizabeth Boarman-8829. Elizabeth was born about 1728.
- 8 M vii. Richard Hardesty-8466 was born about 1733 in South River Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 1823.
- 9 F viii. [-?-] Hardesty-8501.
from his son Robert Hardesty three brothers went to Coshocton county Ohio:
- 1) John Hardesty married Henrietta Chaney (his descendants basically stayed in Coshocton county Ohio),
- 2) Thomas Hardesty married Nancy Ann Chaney (he and his descendants went to Greene county Indiana) and
- 3) Edmund Hardesty married Ruth Faith Cheney and Elizabeth [-?-] (he went on to Ogle county Illinois)
Thomas Hardesty of Greene county indiana
1. Thomas Hardesty-8412 was born 24 May 1747/1748 in Near Baltimore, Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 4 Apr 1859 in Plummer Creek, Greene, Indiana and was buried Apr 1859 in Walnut Grove Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene County, Indiana.
Thomas married (MRIN:4256) Nancy Ann Chaney-281, daughter of Samuel Cheney-7902 and Margaret-7796 (MRIN:4312), on 3 Jan 1797 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. Nancy was born BET. 1746 - 1747 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>. She died 27 Aug 1840 in Coshocton, Ohio.
They had the following children:
- 2 F i. Margaret Alice Hardesty-365 was born 20 Sep 1800 in Anne Arundel, Maryland and was christened 10 Nov 1801 in All Hallow's Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. She died 26 Aug 1890 in Dresden, Greene, Indiana and was buried in Ashcraft Chapel Cemetery, Jackson Twp., Greene, Indiana. Margaret married (1-MRIN:4384) Robert Edington-364, son of Jonathan Edington-7659 (MRIN:301), on 13 Apr 1815 in Coshocton County, Oh. Robert was born 1796 in Hunterdon, Pennsylvania. He died 5 Aug 1844 in Coshocton, Ohio. Margaret also married (2-MRIN:4385) Elijah Ashcraft-471, son of Daniel Freeman Ashcraft-333 and Elizabeth Shuman-7942 (MRIN:4484), on 3 Jan 1861 in , Greene, Indiana. Elijah was born 27 Aug 1800 in Georges Twp., Fayette, Pennsylvania. He died 10 Sep 1867 in Koleen, Greene, Indiana and was buried Sep 1867 in Walnut Grove (Mood) Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana. After the death of her sister.
- 3 M ii. Aquilla Hardesty-202 was born 21 Feb 1799 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 19 Mar 1879 in , Greene, Indiana and was buried Mar 1879 in Walnut Grove (Mood) Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana. Aquilla married (1-MRIN:4123) Catherine Meek-203 on 3 Oct 1816 in , Muskingham, Ohio. Catherine was born 1799 in Maryland or Ohio. She died 21 Aug 1837 in Coshocton, Ohio/, Licking, Ohio and was buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, Coshocton, Ohio/Licking, Ohio. Aquilla also married (2-MRIN:4257) Elizabeth Murphy-211 on 19 Dec 1837 in Coshocton, Ohio. Elizabeth was born 6 May 1802 in Virginia. She died 12 Feb 1865 in , Greene, Indiana and was buried Feb 1865 in Walnut Grove (Mood) Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana. Aquilla also married (3-MRIN:4258) Martha Kirkpatrick-217 on 15 Nov 1865 in , Muskingham, Ohio. Martha was born 1844 in <, , Muskingham, Ohio>. Aquilla also married (4-MRIN:4259) Mary Jane Knott-218 on 3 Jun 1868 in , Greene, Indiana. Mary was born 1847 in <, , Greene, Indiana>. She died 1879 and was buried in Walnut Grove (Mood) Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana.
- 4 F iii. Elizabeth Hardesty-470 was born 19 Jul 1802 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. She died 11 Dec 1859 in Koleen, Greene, Indiana and was buried in Walnut Grove (Mood) Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana. Elizabeth married (MRIN:4483) Elijah Ashcraft-471, son of Daniel Freeman Ashcraft-333 and Elizabeth Shuman-7942 (MRIN:4484), on 24 Nov 1821 in Coshocton, Ohio. Elijah was born 27 Aug 1800 in Georges Twp., Fayette, Pennsylvania. He died 10 Sep 1867 in Koleen, Greene, Indiana and was buried Sep 1867 in Walnut Grove (Mood) Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana. After her death he married Elizabeth's sister Margaret (Hardesty) Edington who was widowed