History of the County of Lincolnshire - England
Please join the project and add information if you can.
Contributions welcome - but please do not copy and paste Wiki!!
The purpose of this project is to give a historical background to Lincolnshire, to provide information about those individuals of Historic importance linked to the county and to add links to any profiles of significant people linked to Lincolnshire who have profiles on GENi.
See also Lincolnshire Main Page
- Bolingbrioke Castle
- Grimsthorpe Castle
- Lincoln Castle
- Somerton Castle
- Tattershall Castle
- Alford Manor House
- Ayscoughee Hall
- Belton House
- Branston Hall
- Burghley House
- Doddington Hall
- Gainsborough Old Hall
- Harlaxton Manor
- Normanby Hall
- Woolsthorpe Manor
History - over view
- 3rd February 1014 Sweyn Forkbeard who ruled England 1013-1014, died at Gainsborough where he was based. He ruled for only 5 weeks, having been declared king of England on Christmas Day 1013.
References, Sources and further reading
- The visitation of the county of Lincoln in 1562-4
- Lincolnshire pedigrees Volume 1
- Lincolnshire pedigrees Volume 2
- Lincolnshire pedigrees Volume 3
- Lincolnshire pedigrees Volume 4
You are invited to contribute in any way you can -
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to Participate
- If you have any queries please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- Please add related projects to the menu on the right.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
Please add the profiles off your Lincolnshire born ancestors to the People Connected to Lincolnshire or http://www.geni.com/projects/Lincolnshire-Famous-People/13732 Lincolnshire - Famous People] projects, not here.
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
Members of Parliament
For Biographical articles go to - http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/research/members
Lord Lieutenants of Lincolnshire.
This list is incomplete from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Lieutenant_of_Lincolnshire''
- Edward Clinton, 1st Earl of Lincoln 1550/1552–?
- Henry Manners, 2nd Earl of Rutland 1551–1563?
- Edward Manners, 3rd Earl of Rutland 1582/1585 – 14 April 1587
- William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley November 1587 – 4 August 1598
- Roger Manners, 5th Earl of Rutland 20 September 1603 – 26 June 1612
- Francis Manners, 6th Earl of Rutland 15 July 1612 – 23 January 1629
- Robert Bertie, 1st Earl of Lindsey (Royalist) 3 January 1629 – 1642
- Francis Willoughby, 5th Baron Willoughby of Parham (Parliamentary)
- Montagu Bertie, 2nd Earl of Lindsey 13 July 1660 – 25 July 1666
- Robert Bertie, 3rd Earl of Lindsey 9 August 1666 – 6 April 1700
- Robert Bertie, 1st Duke of Ancaster and Kesteven 6 April 1700 – 26 July 1723
- Peregrine Bertie, 2nd Duke of Ancaster and Kesteven 20 February 1724 – 1 January 1742
- Peregrine Bertie, 3rd Duke of Ancaster and Kesteven 12 March 1742 – 12 August 1778
- Robert Bertie, 4th Duke of Ancaster and Kesteven 14 January 1779 – 8 July 1779
- Brownlow Bertie, 5th Duke of Ancaster and Kesteven 9 August 1779 – 8 February 1809
- John Cust, 1st Earl Brownlow 25 February 1809 – 20 August 1852
- Charles Manners, Marquess of Granby, 6th Duke of Rutland 20 August 1852 – 13 February 1857
- Charles Anderson-Pelham, 2nd Earl of Yarborough 13 February 1857 – 7 January 1862
- Gilbert Heathcote, 1st Baron Aveland 21 February 1862 – 6 September 1867
- Adelbert Brownlow-Cust, 3rd Earl Brownlow 4 December 1867 – 17 March 1921
- Charles Anderson-Pelham, 4th Earl of Yarborough 16 April 1921 – 12 July 1936
- Peregrine Cust, 6th Baron Brownlow 14 August 1936 – 1 May 1950
- Gilbert Heathcote-Drummond-Willoughby, 3rd Earl of Ancaster 1 May 1950 – 17 November 1975
- Sir Henry Nevile 17 November 1975 – 31 March 1995
- Bridget Katharine Cracroft-Eley 31 March 1995 – 29 August 2008
- Anthony Worth 30 August 2008 – present
High Sheriffs of Lincolnshire
See separate Project - High Sheriff of Lincolnshire
this project is in HistoryLink