Tracing ancestors in The Netherlands and Flanders.
(This portal is associated with the Portaal voor Nederlandstaligen, the portal for Dutch speaking Geni users)
This is the access point for the global Geni user community to the Dutch speaking users and Dutch-language sources. This portal helps you to find...
- Dutch-speaking users who can help you with your research
- access to online sources in The Netherlands and Flanders, such as registries and archives
If you have Dutch or Flemish ancestors, or if you study ancestral lines in the Dutch language sphere, please follow and participate in this project.
Access to Dutch speaking users
At the associated Portaal voor Nederlandstaligen (portal for Dutch speaking Geni users), you will find hundreds of registered users. However, your place to communicate with them is this International Dutch Portal. You need help with sources? You need an expert opinion? You want further collaboration or start projects with Dutch speaking users? If you have a request, please start a 'discussion' and formulate your question - someone will pick it up!
- HELLO DUTCH SPEAKERS... could you please translate?
- How to handle names correctly in Dutch profiles? - A guideline from Dutch Geni-users to improve the quality of name processing in The Netherlands and Flanders.
Access to sources in The Netherlands and Flanders
Please follow the official records as much as possible.
- Civic Registries. Under Napoleonic rule, government administration of birth, marriages and deaths was introduced in Flanders (1796) and The Netherlands (1811).
- Church Records. Since 1563 (the Council of Trent), churches gradually introduced the keeping of birth, marriage and death records (abbreviated in dutch to DTB records). Transcriptions are available on FamilySearch microfilm (online).
- Notary Records. These records often go even further back and contain genealogical information around land deeds, house sales, marriage contracts... Some of these are preserved in local archives (rarely online, but with interesting exceptions).
More links and detailed information...
Quick Search Access
Netherlands - NATIONAL, country-level
- Nationaal Archief (English version), the national archives of The Netherlands.
- WIEWASWIE formerly known as Genlias -English version-, the official civil registers - which includes most births, marriages and deaths in The Netherlands, since 1811
Netherlands - Provincial and Local level...
- See Dutch Sources...
- See Flemish Sources
Nederlandse Antillen - (Dutch West Indies)
- Names and naming practices in the Dutch West Indies
- ... attributions welcome ! ...
- ...translations in PAPIAMENTO also welkom....
Indonesia - (Dutch East Indies)
Check out the Digital Sources Netherlands and Belgium site. This holds an extensive collection of links and lists that result from record transcriptions by volunteers.