For people who have tested and are assigned the maternal haplogroup J or who are believed to have had that maternal haplogroup based on descendants tested.
- Coding mutations 489, 10398, 12612, 13708
- HVR mutations 295 and 16069
Haplogroup J has an estimated age of about 45,000 years. In his popular book The Seven Daughters of Eve, Bryan Sykes named the originator of this mtDNA haplogroup Jasmine.
Haplogroup J (along with ‘T’) is associated with the spread of farming and herding in Europe during the Neolithic Era (8,000-10,000 yrs ago).
The average frequency of J Haplogroup as a whole is highest in the Near East (12%) followed by Europe (11%), Caucasus (8%) and North Africa (6%).
Subclades of J
- Francesco Petrarca ("Petrarch") (1304-1374) - Haplogroup J
- Richard III, King of England (1452-1485) - Haplogroup J1c2c
- Katherine Roët (1350-1403), mistress of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster - Haplogroup J1c2c
How to Participate
To participate in this project, join or follow the project, add your oldest known ancestor who belonged to this haplogroup. The profile must be set to public in order to add it.