Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Jewish Families from České Budějovice (Budweis), Bohemia, Czech Republic

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all

Profiles

  • Karl Pick (1885 - 1942)
    Birth record: MOST 1301 N 1872-1895 (92/169) Death record: Born 11. 07. 1885 last residence before deportation: České Budějovice Transport Akb, č. 675 (18.04.1942 ...
  • Josef Schwarzkopf (1842 - 1902)
  • Karl Schwarzkopf (1877 - c.1943)
  • Ella Subak (1887 - 1944)
    Ella SUBAK maiden name: Schwarzkopf born 19. Nov. 1887 died 1944 Auschwitz Holocaust Victim Daughter of: Siegmund/Zikmund and Ema Seemann Schwarzkopf Burial: Jewish Cemetery Ceske Budejovice Ce...
  • Emma Schwarzkopf (1862 - 1930)
    Birth: 1842 Death: 1926 Siegmund/Zikmund SCHWARZKOPF born 1842 died 1926 Husband of: Ema Schwarzkopf maiden name: Seemann born 1862 died 1930 Father of: Richard Schwarzkopf born 19. Nov. 1889 d...

This project seeks to collect all the Jewish families from the town of České Budějovice (Budweis) in Bohemia, Czech Republic.

About: České Budějovice was founded in 1265 on the confluence of the Vltava and Malše rivers by King Přemysl Otakar II. The city has a chessboard layout. In 1341 two Jews were granted remission of taxes for ten years. By 1390 the Jews lived in a separate quarter of the city. Anti-Jewish riots in 1505 occurred when nine local Jews accused of ritual murder were burned alive and thirteen drowned. In 1506, 23 Jewish children were forcibly baptized. The rest of the Jews were expelled from the city. Jews were permitted to settle again after 1848. A new congregation established in 1856. In 1859, a cemetery consecrated in 1866.A neo-Gothicsynagogue was built in 1868. Remains of the old synagogue were discovered in 1908. (The Germans blew up the 1868 synagogue on June 5, 1942.) 1,263 Jews lived in 19 close localities in 1902. Rabbis of Ceske Budejovice included Emil Krakauer (officiated 1905–06) and Karl Thieberger (1906–30). 1930 Jewish population was 1,138 (2.6% of the total population). The area settled by ethnic Germans (Sudeten Deutsche) saw the Jews persecuted by the authorities and the local population after annexation. In June 1939 the offices of the congregation were closed. Jewish shops were attacked on July 21. On August 16, 1940, Jews were concentrated in an ancient building under horrid living conditions. 386 who had left the area were deported during the war. 909 were deported to death camps on April 18, 1942. After World War II, the congregation reconstituted, but ceased in 1970 due to lack of members. České Budějovice is the seat of the South Bohemian regional administration and a university

Jewish Cemetery: The [landmarked] cemetery located 1.5 km NE of the Square, Pekárenské ulici was established in 1866. About 100 tombstones preserved since the establishment of the cemetery and dozens of bases and curbing are visible. In the mortuary building is a permanent exhibition dedicated to the history of Jews in the city. In the southern part of the cemetery is a 1950 Holocaust memorial. Part of the tombstones were removed during the Nazi occupation. The ceremonial hall demolished in 1975. The 1980s planned liquidation of the cemetery did not occur. In the early 1990s, the cemetery was cleared of dense vegetation and bushes, which was almost impenetrable. The ceremonial hall, now used as a small museum, and part of wall were restored. The rest of the wall was repaired in 2004. Currently, the cemetery is cleaned and needs only continuous maintenance of the property.

[http://www.iajgsjewishcemeteryproject.org/czech-republic/ceske-budejovice.html]