This project seeks to collect all of the Jewish families from the town of Spálené Poříčí (Brennporitschen) in Bohemia, Czech Republic.
Bren-Proritschen, south of Pilsen
The Jewish settlement was here probably before 1623, but according to other sources the first Jews came here after the thirty years' war. These Jews lived in several houses in the village and the Jewish road was built in 1680. The original houses were rebuilt after being damaged by fire and floods. We can find some original buildings here e.g. the formal school or butcher´s house, the unique house is a Jewish house with its original black kitchen divided into two parts - for milk preparation and meat preparation. The synagogue was standing until 1946 by the brook behind the Jewish house and the mikvas were situated there too. The archeological research should verify this theory. The number of Jews was continuously increasing together with the meaning (?) of the Jewish community. In 1825 they built a hospital for pilgrims here. Later the number of Jews began to decrease. Just before World War II there were 8 men and women, who were deported. Only two women returned from the concentration camps and were later deported from the Czech republic. an interesting life story is that of Frantisek Ehrman and his wife, who survived the holocaust because Matej Homola hid them in his house in Nechanice for 2 and half years The Jewish cemetery is situated on the hill on the edge of the village. It was recently reconstructed and there are several valuable old tombstones with rich sculptural decoration and some newer tombstones too. The Jewish community was economically rich during the estate of St. Vitus capital (?). In 1865 the maches (?) works were built here ( it was a branch of Pilsen works), established by the Jewish businessman Eckstein. After this factory stopped manufacturing , the maches works in Susice started to develop. The oldest owners of the town and the fortress were members of the noble family of Rozmital. They sold the property to the cloister in Kladruby in 1239. Later on the village had a private owner again. It is not clear when the town was promoted (?); it was probably during the 16th century. The coat-of-arms was founded in the same period. During the thirty years war the town burnt down and got its name Porici. In 1749 the town was sold to the St. Vitus capital and established a dean´s office there. The old fortress was rebuilt into the castle in renaissance style and later rebuilt again. Recently during the reconstruction the original renesance ceiling was found there. The castle is used by the Church college with ecological specialization. Every year they organize an ecological competition for high school students. The main hall is used for lectures and there is also an exhibition of the local crafts. The St. Nicolas church was built in the 14th century it was rebuilt during the Baroque. The dean´s office was also rebuilt at the end of the 18th century. You can find here two memorial boards remaining of Jindrich Simon Baar and the establishing of the third Readers group in Bohemia (1820). Most of the original buildings were kept preserved and have been renovated including the farm buildings along the road to Pilsen. Some of them were built in old country style.
From http://www.jewish-route.eu/english/mesta/16_sp-porici/sp-porici.htm, lightly edited (more is needed).