The project seeks to assemble all of the Jewish families from the small town of Sušice in Southwestern Bohemia.
Location: Sušice is located in Bohemia, Klatovy at 49°13′52″N 13°31′13″E , 25 km SE of Klatovy; 36 miles S of Plzeň (Pilsen) near the border of the Protected Landscape Area Šumava (Bohemian Forest). Sušice is also the seat of the Municipality with Extended Competence and with Commissioned Local Authority. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
Current Czech Name: Sušice
Other Names/Spellings: Schüttenhofen [Ger]
History: The town of Sušice was founded in the 8th century as a settlement near the Otava River, a gold-mining area. In the 12th century Sušice was owned by of the Lords of Bavaria (Germany). It was connected to Bohemia in the 13th century and soon after became a royal fortified town. During the Hussite Wars in the first half of the 15th century Sušice was the Hussite town. After the battle on Bílá Hora (White Mount; 1620 - the battle of Czech aristocracy against the Habsburgs' monarchy) most of the properties were confiscated. The destruction of the town was finished by fire in 1707, when most of the sites burned down. Sušice is known for the production of safety matches which began in 1838 and has continued to the present. The Fürth family founded local match factory.
The earliest known Jewish community settled in Sušice during the first half of 17th century. The Jewish cemetery originated about 1626 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial in 1874. A pogrom occurred in 1866. Jews moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. The 1930 Jewish population was 112.
Genealogical Resources: Birth, Death and Marriage record books for Sušice beginning in around 1800 are preserved and located at the Czech State Archives in Prague.
Jewish Families in the 1793 Bohemian census