This project seeks to collect all of the jewish families form Bratislava, Slovakia (also knows in German as Pressburg or Preßburg, and in Hungarian as Pozsony).
Bratislava is located near the Austrian border on the Danube River. Jews first settled in the city in the late 13th century. Over the years, the Jewish community was expelled from the city on several occasions, specifically in 1360 and 1526.
By the 18th century, 120 families resided in Bratislava. During this period, the Jewish population continued to thrive, especially with Jews arriving from Moravia. The city became a center of European Judaism with the arrival of Rabbi Moses Schreiber. Prior to the Holocaust, 15,000 Jews lived in Bratislava, which also had numerous magnificent Jewish synagogues and buildings, including the Grand Orthodox Synagogue built in 1863.
Today, Bratislava has about 1,000 Jews living within the city. The community is led by Rabbi Baruch Myers from Brooklyn, New York. One synagogue, built in 1923 for the Orthodox community, remains in Bratislava.