Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Jewish families from Sedlčany, Příbram District, Central Bohemian Region, Czech Republic

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all

Profiles

This project seeks to collect all of the Jewish families from the town of Sedlčany, Příbram District, Czech Republic and some surrounding villages.

Village district(bezirk) and region:

Until 1918, Sedlčany - Selcan (previously Seltschan) was part of the Austrian monarchy (Austrian side after the compromise of 1867), head of the district of the same name, one of the 94 Bezirkshauptmannschaften in Bohemia.

Before WWI (ca 1900), it was known as Seltschan, Bohemia, Austrian Empire.

Between the wars, (ca 1930), it was known as Sedlčany, Bohemia, Czechoslovakia.

After WWII (ca 1950): Sedlčany, Czechoslovakia.

ca 2000: Sedlčany, Czech Republic

Location:

It is situated on right bank of Vltava-river in a distance of 60 kms approx. from Prague. At present, there are 8000 inhabitants.

History:

The History of the Jews in Sedlčany:

In 1893, the dwindling population of Kosova Hora Jewish congregation joined the congregation in nearby Sedlcˇany, three kilometers away. Until the middle of the 19th century, only a few Jewish families had lived in Sedlcany, not far from silver and gold mines where Jews had not been welcome. As a result of the political reforms brought about by the 1848 populist revolt, greater civil liberties including more freedom for the Jews meant Jewish traders started to settle in Sedlcany in larger numbers. By 1876, 92 Jews lived in the village and in 1881 started a prayer group. By 1890, 175 Jews lived in the village. In 1888 Sedlcany Jews established their first independent Jewish community. When the Kosova Hora Jewish community joined the Sedlcany Jewish community, its torahs (including Rabbi Shmuel's Torah almost 50 years old) were moved to Sedlcany. The Jews of this region developed very good relations with their gentile neighbours, spoke Czech and declared loyalty to the Czech people, while the Jews in other cities continued to speak German. As the Sedlcany Jewish community grew, they needed a synagogue and purchased an existing building combination restaurant-hotel. People stayed at this inn and eat meals in the restaurant's large room which had served as a local theater. That large room of the inn was turned into the sanctuary used for services and as a center of Jewish community life until 1939.The Jewish community of Sedlcany peaked during the 1890's and then gradually dwindled. From 1890 until 1921, the Jewish population was half, from 175 to 88 people. In 1930 the Jewish population was only 50. Hundreds of Jews from scattered nearby villages still came to services in Sedlcany, including 32 Jews in nearby Kosova Hora. As the synagogues in small villages closed down, their scrolls were brought to Sedlcany. By the 1930's, Sedlcany had a relatively large number of Torah scrolls considering the size of its population. The torah from Kosova Hora known as Rabbi Shmuel's torah (aka Woodacre torah) is now in California. See story about its writing [http://www.ganhalev.org/writings/torah-scroll/part-iii-the-next-100-years/] and additional information: [http://www.ganhalev.org/about/the-woodacre-torah/chapter-8/]

( from [http://www.iajgsjewishcemeteryproject.org/czech-republic/sedlcany.html

Genealogical Resources:

Birth, Death and Marriage record books for ….. are preserved and located at ……

Jewish Cemetry: Židovský hřbitov v Kosově Hoře (Jewish cemetery in Kosova Hora) An old Jewish cemetery (established about 1580) located by border of Kosova Hora village is among the more distinguished monuments of that region. In the 17th century Kosova Hora was a significant Jewish town. An unique cemetery with old tombstones was preserved and is open to the public to tourists' visits. From http://mesto-sedlcany.cz/en

Sedlčany Inhabitants (those on geni in blue, those not yet entered in black) :

Neighbouring village Inhabitants on geni:

Dublovice

Doubravice (Doubravitz/Dobrawe)

Trebnice (Trebnitz)

Příčovy (Pritschovy Lhota)

Bohemia Jewish Census

There is only one Jewish family in Seldschanek today

Sedlčany in 1793: Isak KAAZ. He had his "Schutz" in Kammeralherrschaft -Brandeis. He lived in farmhouse (Bauernhaus) no 4 and was a tobacco merchant (Tabaktrafikant). Isak was married to Sara and they had two unmarried sons Tadeus 13 years old and Simon 7 years old. They had also a daughter Anna two years old.