Completing and documenting the family history of John Winthrop, first Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630, often referred to as "America's Forgotten Founding Father".
Scope will include his known ancestors and first few generations of his children and grandchildren.
The United States did not exist ca. 1620, nor did the UK. For consistency, please use the place names of England and Massachusetts.
Winthrop, John, and James K. Hosmer. Winthrop's Journal, "history of New England," 1630-1649. Original narratives of early American history. New York: C. Scribner's Sons, 1908. Print.
The Puritan Migration: Albion's Seed Sets Sail
The Winthrop Fleet; Massachusetts Bay Colony governor
WINTHROP, JOHN, governor, author, was born Jan. 22, 1588, in England. He was elected governor of Massachusetts twelve times, and that he was not chosen continuously was due to his strong insistence upon the principle that true liberty requires wise and secure authority. A portrait of him, ascribed to Vandyke, is in the senate chamber of Massachusetts. He was the author of Arbitrary Government Described; and History of New England from 1630 to 1649. He died March 26, 1649, in Boston, Mass. [Herringshaw's Encyclopedia of American Biography] -30-
- First governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony
- 1643 First president of the New England Confederation of colonies
- Bookmarks (off-site links)
- * Works by John Winthrop, Sr.
- o John ~Winthrop's City upon a Hill, 1630 http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/winthrop.htm
- o Analyses, critiques and interpretations http://mason.gmu.edu/~drwillia/winthrop.html
- + John Winthrop and the Origins of American Multiculturalism A Plea against Balkanization http://www.bartelby.org/225/0207.html
- o II. The Historians, 1607–1783. § 7. John Winthrop.
- * Works about
- o Biographical
- + Specific incidents, aspects, time periods
- # Journey of John Winthrop on the ship Arbella The Winthrop Fleet http://www.webnests.com/Chase/chronicles/johnwinthrop.htm
- + John Winthrop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Winthrop
- + John Winthrop http://web.archive.org/web/20060216114140/http://dylee.keel.econ.ship.edu/ubf/winthrop.htm
- + Forward - The Colonies A little Winthrop history http://web.archive.org/web/20060114172202/http://www.mystic.com/dcd/collver/doc/colony.html
- + John Winthrop: Biography from Answers.com http://www.answers.com/topic/john-winthrop
- o Genealogy
- o Historical
- + Ken Newcomb: Makers of the Mold, Historical John Winthrop and His Generation http://web.archive.org/web/20020214000053/vs1.channel1.com/users/hemlock/MakersHistorical.htm#JohnWinthrop
- + A STUDENT'S HISTORY OF AMERICAN LITERATURE: Part-2: Chapter-1http://web.archive.org/web/20010430063142/http://www.biblomania.com/Reference/Simonds/SHAL/p2-chap1.html
- + This Country of Ours Chapter 23 http://web.archive.org/web/20010619185048/http://puo.cffh.com/This_Country_of_Ours/ch23.html
- + AMERICAN VALUES IN HISTORICAL CONTEXT: THE HERITAGE OF THINKING TO 1789 http://www.stockton.edu/~gilmorew/0colhis/v1nwen1.htm
- + John Winthrop: First Governor of Massachusetts http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0526_Bios-_John_Winthrop.html
- + Anne Marbury Hutchinson and the Antinomian controversy
- # Ann Marbury It is hard to tell just how her religious views disagreed with those of the colony churches. Winthrop asserted that she brought two dangerous errors with her. These "errors " hinged upon some abstract difference between a "covenant of works" and a "covenant of grace". http://web.archive.org/web/20010227213718/http://res4.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/8301/ann_marbury_hutchinson.htm
- + Miscellaney and background
- # Pilgrim & Puritan by Richard H. Maxwell http://www.pilgrimhall.org/PSNoteNewPilgrimPuritan.htm
- # Suffolk - The American Connection http://web.archive.org/web/20010210042804/http://www.suffolkcc.gov.uk/central/amconn/page1.html
- + The Pequot War http://web.archive.org/web/20010821095709/http://www.ggnra.org/cramer/pequot.htm
- # The Pequot War - Title
- o Memorials and tributes
- + John Winthrop (1588 - 1649) - Find A Grave Memorial http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=1118
- + John Winthrop National Statuary Hall Collection http://www.aoc.gov/cc/art/nsh/winthrop.cfm
- + Town History http://web.archive.org/web/20060516221400/http://www.digitalwinthrop.com/miscellaneous/history.htm
- o Bibliographies and Link Farms
- + John Winthrop (1588-1649) http://web.archive.org/web/20040327180723/http://www.nt1.nagasaki-gaigo.ac.jp/ishikawa/amlit/w/winthrop1718.htm
- + Winthrop Papers The Winthrop Papers project is intended to continue the publication of historically significant papers relating to the Winthrop family. Winthrop materials in the collections of the Massachusetts Historical Society include a range of correspondence and other works. http://web.archive.org/web/20050824222216/http://www.millersv.edu/~winthrop/index.html
- + The San Antonio College LitWeb John Winthrop Page http://web.archive.org/web/20061004162830/http://accd.edu/sac/english/bailey/winthrop.htm
- * Gallery
- o john winthrop 1588 - Google Search http://images.google.com/images?q=john+winthrop+1588&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&ei=V0LKS_mOBsGB8gaTqKCJBQ&gbv=2