This is the Umbrella project for Kinross-shire
- Kinross-shire - Family Heads
- Kinross-shire - Famous People
- Historic Buildings of Kinross-shire
- Kinross-shire Historical Page to follow
- Kinross-shire Monumental Inscriptions, Cemeteries and Graveyards
Kinross-shire, Historic County of Scotland
Work in Progress
- Administrative centre Kinross
- Chapman County Code - KRS
- Gaelic Name
- Famous for:
- Landmarks and Places of Interest
- Succeeded by Tayside Region
Kinross-shire or the County of Kinross is a registration county, electoral ward and historic county in the Perth and Kinross council area in the east central Lowlands of Scotland. Surrounding its largest settlement and county town of Kinross, Kinross-shire borders Perthshire to the north, Fife to the east and south and Clackmannanshire to the west.
The Parishes of Kinross-shire
After the boundary changes the county contained five parishes: (Number relate to above map)
- Portmoak and
(The burgh of Kinross is shown in red, Loch Leven in blue).
From 1894 elected parish councils replaced the parochial boards. These in turn were abolished in 1930, and the powers they had exercised passed to the council.
The county was anciently divided into a number of parishes, four were entirely in Kinross-shire :
- Orwell (containing the market town of Milnathort)
The parishes partly in Perthshire were :
From 1845 they were used for local government purposes and governed by parochial boards.
In 1851 there were four entire parishes in Kinross-shire -
- Kinross and
There were also parts of three other parishes,( two in the presbytery of Perth and the other in the presbytery of Auchterader).
If you have Kinross-shire connections please join the project.
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!