Linlithgowshire, Historic County of Scotland
Now West Lothian
Work in Progress - to be enlarged/expanded - place holder
Some links are not yet active
- Administrative centre Linlithgow
- Chapman County Code - WLN
- Gaelic Name Lodainn an Iar
- Famous for:
- Landmarks and Places of Interest
- Linlithgow Palace
- Blackness Castle
- Area 165 sq. mi (427 sq. km)
- Succeeded by West Lothian 1921. Abolished in 1975 by the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973. A tidying up of Scotland's counties which reduced their number to 33 in 1890 had no effect on Linlithgowshire, It was, however, affected by a more minor reorganisation of local government which applied to this part of Scotland in 1921. The result was that Linlithgowshire formally changed its name to West Lothian.
- County Flower - Sticky Catchfly
Linlithgowshire / West Lothian is a registration county of Scotland. It is bounded on the north by the Firth of Forth, on the east and south-east by the county of Edinburgh, on the south-west by Lanarkshire, and on the west by the county of Stirling.
- Royal Burgh and county town Linlithgow
- Royal burgh of Queensferry,
- burgh-of-barony of Bathgate
- burgh-of-regality of Borrowstounness,
Towns and places of interest
- Beecraigs Country Park
- Blackness Castle
- Cairnpapple Hill
- Linlithgow Palace, birthplace of Mary, Queen of Scots
- Polkemmet Country Park
- Torphichen Preceptory
For Historical information about West Lothian visit Historical Linlithgowshire Link to follow - including connections to Historical figures, Gentry and political people connected with Linlithgowshire.
For Information about research in the County and Families Researched on Geni (Including Emigrants) go to Linlithgowshire - Family Heads
For Famous or Notable People from Linlithgowshire / West Lothian visit Linlithgowshire (now West Lothian) - Famous People
People prepared to Help
- C. June Barnes Curator
If you have Linlithgowshire connections please join the project and if you live in the area and are prepared to offer advice or help of any kind please add yourself to the list above.
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!