Linlithgowshire, Historic County of Scotland
Now West Lothian
This is the Umbrella project for Linlithgowshire
Please do not link profiles to this project - its purpose is to inform!
Still to come
- Linlithgowshire Genealogical Resources
- Linlithgowshire (now West Lothian) Historical Page
HELP is always welcome!!
- Administrative centre Linlithgow
- Chapman County Code - WLN
- Gaelic Name Lodainn an Iar
- Famous for:
- Landmarks and Places of Interest
- Linlithgow Palace
- Blackness Castle
- Area 165 sq. mi (427 sq. km)
- Succeeded by West Lothian 1921. Abolished in 1975 by the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973. A tidying up of Scotland's counties which reduced their number to 33 in 1890 had no effect on Linlithgowshire, It was, however, affected by a more minor reorganisation of local government which applied to this part of Scotland in 1921. The result was that Linlithgowshire formally changed its name to West Lothian.
- County Flower - Sticky Catchfly
Linlithgowshire / West Lothian is a registration county of Scotland. It is bounded on the north by the Firth of Forth, on the east and south-east by the county of Edinburgh, on the south-west by Lanarkshire, and on the west by the county of Stirling.
- Royal Burgh and county town Linlithgow
- Royal burgh of Queensferry,
- burgh-of-barony of Bathgate
- burgh-of-regality of Borrowstounness,
Towns and places of interest
- Beecraigs Country Park
- Blackness Castle
- Cairnpapple Hill
- Linlithgow Palace, birthplace of Mary, Queen of Scots
- Polkemmet Country Park
- Torphichen Preceptory
If you have Linlithgowshire connections please join the project.
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!